How to Get Free Car Insurance Quotes
Choosing the right car and getting an auto loan is only half the battle. You still need car insurance coverage and finding the right insurance policy is a taxing, boring, and often expensive process. But if you keep some simple tips and techniques in mind, you can find affordable car insurance quotes and save yourself a fortune on insurance premiums.
Find your best rate on Car Insurance!
Compare free personalized quotes from the nation's top providers.
How Can You Get a Free Car Insurance Quote?
Car insurance quotes should be provided free of charge. That’s not the case for all of them, but there are plenty of companies and services that will provide you with a free quote. You can then compare these quotes to help you find the best policy.
Online car insurance quotes are generally free, so if you’re being charged a fee, take your business elsewhere.
How to Find Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes
There are a few simple steps to getting a free quote and using this to secure the cheapest car insurance rates:
1. Be Prepared
To save yourself some time when dealing with car insurance companies, make sure you have some essential information, including:
- Personal Information: You’ll need to have your basic information at hand when dealing with insurance companies. This includes your driver’s license and the details of everyone else included in the auto insurance policy.
- Vehicle Information: Make a note of the mileage and the date that you purchased the vehicle, as well as the make and model.
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): You can get the VIN from the dealer or seller.
- Driving Record: Note down all accidents and claims, as well as any driving courses you have completed.
- Insurance Record: Finally, many car insurance policies will insist on at least 6 months of insurance before they supply you with a new policy.
2. Understand What They’re Looking for
Knowing what car insurance companies are looking for can help you prepare and allow you to secure some cheap and comprehensive coverage. Generally speaking, the things that have the biggest impact on your quote include:
- Age: Young drivers are significantly more likely to be involved in an accident and to make a claim, so they can expect to pay more for motorist coverage. Policies should get cheaper as you age, but this changes once you reach your 50s and you will start receiving more expensive quotes thereafter.
- Coverage: The extent of your coverage is key to the price of your policy. Do you need roadside assistance, how much liability coverage do you need, and what other coverage options should you consider?
- Car Insurance Discounts: A safe driver in a new car with no claims can secure some big discounts on an auto insurance policy. There are even student discounts for teen drivers and policyholders who have completed defensive driving courses.
- Location: Your location has a major impact on the cost of your auto policy, and whether you’re in California or Hawaii, Florida or New York, could impact your policy by tens of dollars.
- Marital Status: You’re more likely to get cheap car insurance quotes if you’re married, as you’re statistically less likely to make a claim.
- Renter vs Homeowner: A homeowner pays less, on average, than a renter. The difference is slight but could save you tens of dollars a year.
3. Improve Your Chances of Getting Cheap Insurance
You can’t magically make yourself a few years younger (if only!) and if you’ve already made a claim on your insurance there’s not much you can do to reverse time and undo that claim. However, there are a few ways you can reduce your premiums and bring those insurance costs down, including:
Check Your Credit Score
Your credit score plays an important role in pretty much every financial decision that you make, whether you’re applying for a credit card, looking into life insurance or getting an auto insurance quote.
A good credit score shows that you’re a trustworthy individual who knows how to handle your finances. It also suggests that you’re less impulsive.
Of course, that’s not always the case and having a bad credit score doesn’t mean you’re impulsive and reckless. Far from it. However, insurance is based on statistics and probability, and statistically speaking, an individual with bad credit is more likely to be reckless than an individual with good credit.
Check Your Auto Insurance Coverage
There’s no point paying for full coverage if you’re driving a cheap car that costs less than $500. Be careful how you structure your auto insurance with regards to liability, collision coverage, and auto repair. Make sure you weigh the pros and cons against your car and the likelihood of encountering an issue and use these to set realistic and affordable premiums.
Look for Insurance Discounts
You can secure auto insurance discounts for a variety of reasons. One of the best of these is a multi-policy discount, which is offered to policyholders who have several different policies with the same insurance provider. For instance, you can purchase life insurance, property liability insurance, and more, with the insurer essentially offering you a wholesale discount.
There are also discounts for multi-car and driver policies, whereby you add several cars or drivers onto the same policy. But the reductions don’t stop there, and you should also look into the following:
- Good driver discounts
- Discounts for student drivers
- Discounts for paying in full
- Paperless discount (provided when you agree to paperless billing)
- Company and employee-based discounts
- Military discounts
Shop and Compare
Don’t accept the first policy you’re offered; don’t assume they’re giving you the best price and complete coverage. Work with different insurance agents, check multiple providers, and run some searches on comparison websites.
Bottom Line: Free Auto Insurance Quote
Most auto insurance companies provide you with auto insurance quotes for free, and there’s no reason why you should be paying money for these quotes. Be wary of any companies or sites that charge you for this service, remember to compare several quotes from several different companies, and once your policy begins, keep searching for discounts and doing what you can to reduce quotes in the future.