Ameriprise Insurance Reviews
Ameriprise Financial is a financial services company that was founded over 120 years ago and offers insurance products, as well as wealth management, estate planning, and other services. It is available in 33 states, including Washington D.C, and offers relatively cheap auto insurance and home insurance in all of them.
Find your best rate on Car Insurance!
Attention: Still Open During the Financial Crisis...
Tip: Act now to see if you qualify for lower rates!
Compare free personalized quotes from the nation's top providers.
Ameriprise Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Ameriprise doesn’t have the cheapest car insurance options for the majority of drivers. It struggles to match the likes of GEICO, State Farm, and Allstate in that area and will almost certainly not compare to the low rates offered to military members via USAA.
But Ameriprise insurance rates are competitive, nonetheless, and all the main coverage options are available, including:
- Liability Coverage Insurance: Bodily injury and property damage cover are required in most states, with the exception of just a couple. With the Ameriprise insurance company, you can get the bare minimum cover that you need and extend this where required.
- Collision Coverage: Collision coverage provides a payout when you damage your vehicle and are not covered by standard liability insurance. Such is the case when you hit a wall, guardrail or tree.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Comprehensive coverage pays out if your vehicle is damaged by weather, vandalism, animal collisions, and many other issues not covered by collision insurance or liability insurance.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): PIP insurance covers you for medical bills and lost earnings, as well as other expenses resulting from injuries sustained in a car accident.
- Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Coverage: When you’re hit by an uninsured driver or a driver that doesn’t have the full liability coverage required, this form of insurance will step in.
Ameriprise Auto Insurance Policy Features
In addition to all of the aforementioned coverage options, Ameriprise policyholders may also be offered the following, depending on the optional extras they choose and the state in which they reside:
- Accident Forgiveness: Your first accident will not impact your claims if you have been claim-free for at least three years. However, this feature is not available in California, North Carolina or Kansas.
- Stolen Key Coverage: This feature is covered under Ameriprise’s comprehensive coverage plan. There is no deductible for a lost or stolen key if the claim is for less than $250.
- Towing Coverage: A form of roadside assistance that covers you for towing expenses.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: If your car is being repaired or has been stolen, this coverage option will ensure you get back on the road quickly by paying for a rental car.
- Travel Accident Cover: If you have an accident more than 100 miles from your home, Ameriprise will pay towards some of your expenses.
- Glass Repair Waiver: If your windscreen needs to be replaced, a deductible will apply, but if it can be replaced then no deductible is required.
Ameriprise Car Insurance Discount
One of the best discounts offered by Ameriprise comes via wholesale club Costco. You can get a discount on your Ameriprise home insurance and auto insurance if you are a Costco member. That’s not all, either, as policyholders can also get all of the following discounts:
- Garaging: A small discount offered to drivers who keep their cars locked in a secure garage overnight, as opposed to leaving it on the driveway. This can reduce the risk of thefts, vandalism, and weather damage.
- Educational Discounts: Good student discounts are offered to young drivers who maintain a B grade average. There are also discounts available to students who live on campus.
- Claims Free Discount: The longer you go without making a claim, the more you can save on your car insurance rates. Fewer at-fault accidents mean you’re a low-risk driver and a much more appealing prospect to all auto insurance companies.
- Loyalty Discount: Stay with Ameriprise insurance for three years or more and you will be rewarded for your loyalty.
- Defensive Driver Discount: Take a defensive driving course to improve your skills behind the wheel and prove yourself as a driver. In the process, you’ll get a slight discount on your Ameriprise insurance policy.
- Safety Features Discount: Get a discount if your car has essential claim-reducing safety features such as seatbelts, anti-lock brakes, front-and-side airbags, trackers, alarms, and more. Anything that can reduce the threat of accidents, injuries, and theft can trigger big savings.
- Accident Merit: As noted above, accident forgiveness isn’t offered in all states where Ameriprise is available. However, for the states where it’s not offered, drivers can still reduce premiums related to accident surcharges when they stay accident-free for a pre-determined period.
- Bundling: Also known as a multi-policy discount, bundling is offered to policyholders who combine homeowners insurance and auto insurance.
Other Insurance Options
Ameriprise also provides homeowners insurance. One of the best features of this insurance option is replacement cost coverage, which means you’ll get the original value of any stolen items before deprecation is considered.
If you lose a $2,000 MacBook that’s over 6 months or a year old, you’ll still get cover for that $2,000, as opposed to the $1,500 or so that it might be worth now.
Ameriprise home insurance also provides identity theft protection (up to $5,000 in personal losses); food spoilage protection (up to $500 in lost food), and $100 in lock replacement cover.
Ameriprise Customer Satisfaction, Ratings, and Reviews
Ameriprise claims can be made 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Policyholders can submit a claim online or over the phone and Ameriprise offers a very fast and streamlined process, giving drivers the chance to change details and review their cover via an online portal.
Ameriprise has a very high financial strength rating from AM Best and it also has the highest possible rating from JD Power. It has very good reviews from customers, but it has a poor rating from the Better Business Bureau, with numerous complaints and a low score overall.
Summary: Ameriprise Auto Insurance Review
Ameriprise is partnered with American Family Insurance, which means your policy may be underwritten by them if you go through Ameriprise. It’s one of the biggest auto insurance companies in the United States, offering extensive coverage, with relatively good reviews and ratings across the board.
As always, though, it’s important to get multiple insurance quotes before settling on any single one. Take a look at policies from providers like Progressive, Nationwide, GEICO, State Farm, and more, add as many discounts as you can, and make sure you’re getting the best possible deal before you sign.