*PLEASE READ* Changes Coming to Shopping Lists at PocketYourDollars.com

Recently I dove deep into the numbers that surround our twelve free-to-use weekly shopping lists. As I crunched numbers, a story began to unfold. A story that surprised me. I saw our lists fall into four distinct groups, which I describe below. Each of these groups will experience change effective February 1, 2014.

Let me walk you through the categories I saw and the changes that are coming.

The Big 3

Three of our lists generate 65% of all the shopping list-related website traffic at PocketYourDollars.com. Those three stores are Target, Rainbow/Copps/Pick N Save and Cub Foods.

Knowing how much you use and love these lists, we won’t change them very much. You’ll notice just a few small things:

• We will combine the weekly Rainbow Foods and Copps/Pick N Save lists.
  • We dedicate a certain amount of time each week to maintain the lists we create. We will focus our maintenance efforts on these three lists. Starting February 1 we will be spending less overall time on list maintenance sitewide. Therefore, our focused priorities include: 1) let you know of any noteworthy new deals and 2) keeping the on-going deals sections current.

Two Outperformers

Two stores produce relatively small traffic, compared to the Big 3, but take so little time to produce and maintain that they are worth the effort. These two stores are Aldi and Menards.

You won’t notice any changes with these lists. We’ll continue to create them as we always have and we’ll continue maintaining them at the same level we always have.

The National Chains

Walgreens, CVS and Walmart are popular, generating a combined 22% of list-related website traffic. But, if you figure out how much time we spend creating and maintaining these lists, compared to the amount they are used, they become the three most expensive lists we have. That means we need to do something different with them.

As a result:

• The formatting (language, punctuation, abbreviations, etc.) will be a little looser moving forward. Things will remain neat and readable, but we’ll loosen up our over-the-top anal retentiveness about these things (wish us well with this, because we’re a team of Type A folks and this is a hard change for us).
  • When we learn of a new, super noteworthy deal we may create a new blog post for it instead of updating the current week’s shopping list.
  • Our focus, as we maintain these three national lists, will be on deals that last beyond a week – whether month-long or on-going deals. You may need to read the comments left after each list to see what others have noted as updates to any week-long deals.

The Bottom 4

Four store lists – Cash Wise, Coborn’s, Hy-Vee and Lunds/Byerly’s – each generate less than 1% of shopping list-related traffic. Beyond the lack of interest, in 2013 we invested $3 for every $1 in revenue from these four lists (ouch!). Therefore, we will be discontinuing these lists as of February 1, 2014.

Weekly Update Posts

As part of our list maintenance efforts, we currently publish two blog posts that highlight the best new deals we’ve added to our shopping lists. We will be eliminating these two weekly updates as of February 1. However, we still want you to be aware of the new deals that have been added to our most popular lists.

Starting next week we’ll republish the entire Target, Rainbow Foods/Copps/Pick N Save, and Cub Foods lists on Wednesdays. That will get them included in the Pocket Your Dollars’ Wednesday email and pop them back to the top of the shopping list section on the homepage.

***

I know change is hard (trust me, I agonized over all this for several weeks). I expect that some will feel very disappointed with these changes. I understand. My heart’s desire would be to provide a free-to-use shopping list for every grocery store we could think of. Practically, with time and resource constraints, that isn’t possible. As a result, we need to focus our efforts on the areas that are producing maximum value for this wonderful online community. I ask for your understanding and support, even if you feel disappointed.

I’m happy to talk more about this and answer any respectful questions. Just ask. What are you wondering about these changes?

Comments

1. LJW says

First, thank you Carrie and team for all the work you put in and all of the families you help (including mine :). I think what you are doing is so wise and I applaud you for making the changes that need to take place. I am in the minority that happens to check the cash wise/coborns match ups each week. I know I can continue to read the ad myself and search for coupons, but I also know there are other websites that do match ups. Are you able to recommend any to me that do these more local stores? Thank you!

• katie says

I’ll miss the coborns too as it is handy for us out-state people! I’ll check Mitch out.. I think I’ve used him for penny pincher…

• AA says

I am sad to see the Cashwise list going away as well. I check and print that list every week. I have never found another list that is consistent and so helpful :(

2. LJV says

I am very disappointed to lose Cash Wise lists, as it is the main grocery store I use. I have been grateful to have your matchups for as long as you have been able to do them. Do you know if there’s someone else who does matchups for Cash Wise/Coborns? I really do love your site and will continue to use it for Target and other stores. While I understand your decision, I’m still sorry to see Cash Wise going away.

3. Debbie says

I often wondered how you could find the time to do all the lists.I have followed your blog for probably three years now,and I have to admit…I’m getting better at finding the deals by myself,but always check your list cause I can always get a few more items.That is why I usually do my shopping towards the end of the week.I find that I don’t need to shop ten different stores to find the bargains.I’ll admit that I only shop Cub,Walgreens and Walmart.Thanks for all you do and good luck with the changes.

Debbie – I don’t do it all myself, that’s how I’ve had time. PYD has an exceptional staff that work tirelessly to bring you the wonderful content we share here.

4. Ruthy says

I’m grateful for what you and your team have done to help my little family unit thus far:o) Keep up the good work!

• Mary says

I mostly shop at Rainbow, but I like the Lund’s list too! They have such great “free” items when you spend $10, that maybe PYD can add a Lunds update when there is a really good “free” item.

Also the free knife sharpening at Lunds and Byerlys (no purchase required) is so awesome. I recomend PYD remind the readers every now and then about the free knife sharpening.

• D says

Will miss the Lunds/Byerlys list as well, but totally understand when a business has to make cost saving measures, as my husband and I own a small business and it is not easy. It’s always hard to have things taken away, but thanks for all you are continuing to do!! Awesome job Carrie!

• Jennie says

Lunds/byerly’s emails out their sales weekly. The first page always lists their best sales. This week, you can buy strawberries for $0.99 with a $10 purchase.

Thanks Carrie! I appreciate everything your team does and your reasoning for discontinuing some of the shopping lists makes total sense to me!

• barb says

That is great that you will still post a few of the Greatest deals at Lunds/Byerlys, I especially the annual bake sale 99¢ sale in December.

also very sad to be losing Lunds since they just moved into our community and have found some fantastic deals through your site but I totally understand.

I have been very delinquent in posting this year, but I am starting to post the Lunds/Byerlys weekly ad again! (My blog isn’t as fancy as PYD, but I try!) Please take a look, and share my blog, “2 Make Ends Meet” with anyone you would like! :) I’m happy there is an interest in it because Byerlys and Lunds DO have great weekly deals! :) Thanks for checking it out!

5. Sara says

Thank you for all you and your team does. I think your readers recognize that this is free to us and the reality is we are lucky to have the community at all.

6. Elise says

Thank you for your efforts. I understand why you are making the changes that you are – it makes sense. However, as a university student without a car the only place locally here that I use frequently is Walmart. Can you inform me of maybe other coupon websites that will make similar lists for that franchise? The weekly deals really help me budget as a student. If not, no big deal, I’m sure I’ll find one eventually, but with all your knowledge I’m hoping that you might have some invaluable advice!

Elisa – We will continue to share weekly deals at Walmart, on the weeks when there *are* weekly deals. it’s just that we won’t invest tons of time adding new week-long deals to that list after it is initially published. (And, frankly, I don’t know of another blog that spends *any time* updating their lists after they are published.)

7. Phil says

I’ll miss the Hy-Vee matchup but fortunately I can go back to the source I was using before you picked it up. I really like your formatting better but I know you can’t do everything. (Penny Pinchin’ Mom is the source for anyone similarly situated.)

Phil – I love Tracie and am glad she’ll have you covered! Can I ask- what aspect(s) of our formatting do you appreciate? Understanding this will help me as we loosen up our formatting standards a bit on the national lists.

• J.M. says

I agree with Phil. Carrie your site is visually appealing and doesn’t over load the viewer with too much visual clutter. This is beneficial for the new coupon user and is very user friendly. I don’t know if this is what you mean by formatting? I live in central mn so I use the cashwise and coborns lists. I use frugal finders but, because Micheal has a blog format I find that his lists take more paper to print. Thank you for letting us know in advance. Another site just changed their look completely and many people were not happy. I don’t know if they let the readers know a hard of time, but letting us know shows us that you respect your readers. Thank you for all you do.

Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts, J.M. By formatting I mean things like – we currently abbreviate words like “ounces” and “pieces” and “count” in *very* specific ways. We’ll loosen up and if they aren’t 100% consistent, but you get the drift, then we’ll call it good enough. We also recently removed the “spend $xx, get yyy back in Balance Rewards” line from the Walgreens list. We will eliminate that line from each deal in the CVS lists starting next week too. We have been insistent about things being capitalized a certain way, the word order being just as we want it and lots (and lots and lotttts) of other small picky things that we felt created a consistent, clean experience across our shopping lists.

I will be more laid back. I will be more laid back. I will be more laid back. :)

As for respecting readers, to the moon and back! This is OUR community, OUR slice of the internet. Certainly I have to make the final call when a decision has to be made, but I care more about each one of you than you can imagine (I mean that in a totally serious, almost sappy way). #endsoapbox :)

• Sara says

I am not sure if this is the input you are looking for….the thing I appreciate most is that I can click on rainbow (or whichever store) and every deal is on that list. I can click on only the ones I want to individualize my shopping list. The grammar and consistent wording is not a concern for me. It is about the content and saving for me.

• Kathleen Haskell says

Hi Carrie,
          I totally understand the need to make the new changes, and I agree with Sara. I am less concerend with the wording, abbreviations, etc. as well…as long as I have the basics…I am all good! Don’t get me wrong, I am a perfectionist at heart as well, but I have had some health issues lately that have shown me that being “laid back” is sometimes not that bad :) Thanks again Carrie for this site…we couldn’t do it without you!

8. Michelle says

Thank you all for everything that you do! While I can find a good amount of deals myself, just from the years of doing it, you never to cease to come up with some that I would miss out on! Thank you!!!

• Lisa says

I second that, Michelle. Carrie and team are doing a great job and are doing what they need to do for their business. Can’t fault them for that!

9. Renae says

I have been a loyal PYD fan for years. Thank you for all you and your team share with us. I will miss the Lund’s list – is there any other blog that does this? Thanks!!!!

Not that I know of, Renae :( We will, on rare occasion do a Lunds/Byerlys list on weeks like the baking sale or some other super noteworthy deal. We will also mention any really good emailed or text coupons in our local deals posts.

Renae – There used to be another blogger that did but it doesn’t appear that it’s up-to-date. I’ll let you know if we find another resource to point you to.

10. Kirsten Christianson says

I, too, have wondered how you do all this! Thank you for helping make my budgeting life so much easier!

11. Cheryl says

Yes, thanks Carrie and team for all you do! I appreciate you keeping the Aldi list, since it is handy to be able to double check their prices against other stores. It’s great when you provide the Aldi prices as a comparison in the other lists, but I realize that would be infeasible for every single entry. Thank you again for your hard work!

12. McKari says

Carrie and Team – Thank you for all you do to maintain the “free-to-use” shopping lists on this website. (I know people who pay money to subscribe to some sites!) I also appreciate the explanation of the upcoming changes for next week. The Grocery coupon database is helpful, and I will continue to use for match-ups at Lunds/Byerlys in the future. Thanks again.
    KEEP CALM AND CLIP ON

13. rebekah says

I heard recently that hyvee plans to enter the twin cities market… When/if they are a bigger presence will you consider bringing that list back?
    Thanks for all you do!

14. Sheila says

Carrie and Team,

Thank you for all that you do! You have helped me save money and learn how to shop wisely. I appreciate it!

15. Rick P says

I am very disappointed to hear the news about Hy-Vee. I look forward to checking the list every week. I live outstate so this is our only chain grocery store. I think this is the issue for many in the south region. With that said, thanks for what you have done and hopefully Hy-Vee will be added again some day!! I refer many people to this site and recommend it as the best couponer site out there! :)

I’ve heard a rumor from a media friend that Hy-Vee is planning to open 7 stores in the Twin Cities over the next 12-18 months. As those open, we’ll *definitely* bring the Hy-Vee list back and hopefully folks will use it more on the second time around.

Hi Carrie,
    I have been a PYD fan for a couple years and always share your website when others ask how I do so well shopping. I really love all the free deals at The National Chains, and the updates were awesome. I dont like having to spend time reading all the blogs so I hope you can find another way to help us get all the best updated deals other than more time searching blog entries.

I am an internet technology specialist and have read many website traffic reports provided by various servers over the years. I hope you realize that search engine bots get included in those hit counts, and some bots only visit the bookmarked link or the first page other users landed on when going to your website. I’m bringing this to your attention because I think the National Chains may get used more than you think.

Possible ideas for your webmaster: Put a counter on each shopping list as to number of deals listed, and post the number at the top so users can see if it was updated since the last time they were on that page. Or just add all new deal updates on the top of the list instead of elsewhere on the list. :-)

Thanks for keeping your website free. I can live with the few ads used to help you make some $$$ to continue the bargain hunting fun for everyone :-)

Lauri – Thanks for your input. Agreed that bots create a certain amount of traffic. Even knowing that I’m very comfortable with the conclusions I reached as I did also look at gross and net profit numbers too; for instance we spent $3 for every $1 of revenue on the bottom 4 lists.

I appreciate your ideas for making it easier to spot/find the updated or new items we add to any list mid-week. We may try a variety of things before we land on a way that works well for our readers and is manageable for our team. You’ve given us great food for thought.

All the best – Carrie

Just curious….when you refer to revenue, do you mean the paid clicks advertised on each page?

I do the ads on my own but your website always ads a few more deals I missed or by your adding links to coupons I was not aware of. Thank you again for keeping your website free to users.

~ Lauri

We make revenue in multiple ways, Lauri. Specific to the shopping lists there are two primary ways: 1) coupon prints; we sometimes get paid when you print coupons from the site and/or use digital coupons like Ibotta. 2) advertising; in the the right-hand column of each web page there are 1 or 2 ads near the top of the page. We rent out that ad space to third parties and they pay us for it.

Does that answer your question? I’m happy to explain further if you have other questions.

Thanks for a great useful site – I am so glad you can take the time to provide these matchups and info for all of us. I will be very sad to see Coborn’s go, yours has been the best one that I’ve followed for them and one of the main reasons I use your site. I hope that you’ll reconsider. Even if it’s a “loss leader” it makes you stand out from the rest!

Just wanted to thank you for all your hard work generating these lists. You do an outstanding job and I love your meticulous attention to detail and consistency. I havent come across another shopping list that is as well organized and easy to follow as yours so I can understand why people that use those other lists are disappointed. I can see that you have put a lot of thought into this decision so kudos to you for doing what is right for your business. Thanks again for all you do. I love telling random strangers at the checkout line about your blog when they ask how I manage to save so much money.

19. diana says

Was glad to use the Cashwise list while you had it. Bummed that you have to discontinue, there aren’t many out there. But it makes sense why. Thanks for keeping it as long as you did.

20. Bonnie says

Carrie – you are your team are awesome! I want to first thank you for your hard work, and for all the savings you have brought me. In addition, you have tought me to be a better shopper! I use the Rainbow and Cub lists, but heavily use the CVS list as well. I have found the iheartcvs.com web site, and can see ad scans for upcoming weeks (they are national so they don’t completely match ours). Does your team “preview” upcoming deals for CVS? That might make things easier when you are publishing your list on Saturday night for CVS? Shopping the deals at CVS and rolling extra bucks into my purchases has saved me a LOT of money there. I got my year end report, and I am in the top 13% of savers at CVS. Thank you for helping me be a SUPER SAVER!

21. betty says

I understand your reason for making changes!! You & your team have done an awesome job w/your lists over the years and I sincerely appreciate it!! I’m sure we’ll adjust to the changes. Thankyou for all you do!!

22. Kris says

Thanks for all you do!

One teeny suggestion would be to have Rainbow lists ready a day earlier since I would suspect most who shop Rainbow shop on Double Days on Wednesdays (and Saturdays).

• Abby says

I think she means that you mentioned that you would be updating Cub, Target, and Rainbow on Wednesdays, so she is suggesting that Rainbow be updated on Tuesdays to prepare for the Wednesday double day :D

• Kris says

Yes….That’s what I meant. If we had Rainbow’s list by Tuesday, we could prep for Wednesday. Above it said the list wouldn’t be ready until Wednesday.
          Thanks!!!

23. amy says

so sad to see the L/B list go. i use it several times weekly as i enjoy supporting the local guys! although i use your site for CVS, L/B and Rnbw the only store i use the print (generate) list for is rnbw. being a tree hugger, i either use my tablet or phone to make a list as i view my store. any others out there doing the same?

I am a relative newby to the coupon world. Thanks to some new friends, I found your site and am so thankful. I have saved so much. Thanks for all that you do to help us save money!

25. Kayla says

I am sad to see the Byerlys, Coborns, and Cashwise lists end. They were my main shopping focus because I believe in supporting the smaller local businesses. Thanks for all the past match ups.

26. Danielle says

Carrie and team, thank you so much for all of your hard work and for letting us know of the changes ahead of time. I have used your website for all of my coupon shopping since I got married 3 years ago. As a stay-at-home mom with a tight budget, you have saved me hundreds of dollars, if not more than that! I have found other coupon websites to be difficult to read when they are in blog format and I love that I can customize my print-out list by only choosing the items I intend to buy. The specifications on ounces, etc are not a big deal to me. I love the list format and also like when it is clear that a deal is newly posted. I hope my input helps you relax with formatting and that you can all save some time! Thank you again. You have proved to be invaluable to me.

27. Sally says

Glad to see the Menards list will remain. I use it every week. Their rebate program is great. Thanks for all the you & the Team do for us. I would be lost without PYD. Thank You again.

28. Robin says

I am one of those couponers that use the Cub & Target links regularly, so will not be affected by the changes to your website. PYD has helped me save a bundle on my weekly expenses. I have recommended your site to countless others as they’ve stood behind me in line, amazed at the savings they see me receiving by using coupons. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

29. Jennifer S says

Hi Carrie,
    I love the Coborns’s list, but thank you for the referral. I understand the time and resource constraints. Thank you for your site. I will continue to use it regularly for Target and Rainbow. I also downloaded your e-book, it was great. Thanks again for all you do.

30. Marne says

Thanks for letting us know of the upcoming changes. I use the Cub, Target, and Walgreens the most so I am glad that Cub and Tartget are staying. I was also glad to see you are going to post about the great baking deals at Byerlys in the future. I don’t live or work near a Byerlys but when they have the great baking deals around the holidays, it sure is nice to be reminded and to make a special! Thank you, Carrie, for keeping this site free for us! That is a HUGE blessing to me! I appreciate you and your team and all you do help us save money and time!!

Ditto to all the above THANKS for your site and all you do to keep it current. I, too, am from a small town/ rural area where the Hy-Vee and Coburns stores are the closest. I was wondering if it would be possible to start a “smaller stores” choice to click on where those shoppers could post the best deals for the week and where they found matching coupons. That way we could help each other in an “easy to find” spot on your drop-down menu.

Just a thought……….maybe it’s not possible, but worth mentioning. I’m sure you’ve thought of everything :)

Joyce – Ha! I am sooo far from thinking of everything. In fact, most any good idea “I’ve” had has come from the PYD team or community. You all are the best source of inspiration. Hmmm…let me think about the logistics of what you suggest as it’s not immediately clear to me how we’d do it in a way that adds value to the community and doesn’t just create a bunch of noise to filter/sift through. Hmmmm…thinking…thinking…

Perhaps think “templates.” Not sure what kind of programming is involved but a template that would allow users to follow your format might be the ticket here.

Also, I posted below about a suggestion to have your readers use the word UPDATE as the first word in a post giving new or updated prices – that would allow users who wish to search the comments for new deals to use a control f search. While I enjoy reading all comments, sometimes I only glance through them all to see what new pricing information there is, and don’t have time to read each one as I need to get to the store.

Anyway, the full comment is below~and thanks for all you do~

32. Erin says

Thank you for your lists and everything you do. I use your Walgreens and cvs lists weekly and love that they are posted on Saturday so I can get my coupons and lists together for shopping Sunday morning. I would love if Target could also be available on Sunday. I recommend your site to so many people. You shopping lists are so easy to read. You had asked someone else for feedback so here is what I like…the format is easy to read and I love that you can check the deals you want and print them (lately I’ve been copying my printable list and emailing it to myself.) I appreciate that you do not post everything in the ad. I trust your judgement on prices so I like that only the good deals are added to the list and that you point out if it’s not so good of a deal. I love that are deal scenarios and you mention if multiple inserts are required. Lastly, I appreciate that everything is listed by category and by price within each category. I do think you could save some time on the cvs and Walgreens deals by cutting back on the “varies by price” posts like the bogo vitamin deals.

33. Anna says

Thank you so much for everything you do! I use your Target, CVS and CashWise lists the most. Your site is the best I’ve seen. I’m sad to be losing the CashWise list and worried about the changes to the CVS list. I find your site much easier to read and to understand than others but I understand changes need to be made sometimes. Good luck!

34. Drew says

Overall I really like your formatting and find PYD very helpful. One of the few sites I visit nearly every day!

I primarily use Rainbow list. Im glad that will be merged back with PNS.
    It was nice to get the larger community of contributors finding extra deals.

Personally I dont use the print function, as I felt it used too much paper. I do most of my searching on a device I can’t print from, so I cut and paste the individual items I want into an email that I send to myself to print later.
    I also delete a lot of the extra text to condense. For example this deal from this weeks Rainbow:

Pillsbury Grands! Biscuits $0.88 (Must Buy 5; Limit 1 Offer)
    Use Roundy’s coupon from booklet
    Plus, use:
    $0.30/2 Pillsbury Refrigerated Grands! Biscuits Cans from 1/5 Smart Source #1 insert
    $0.30/2 Pillsbury Refrigerated Grands! Biscuits Cans from 12/15 Smart Source insert
    $0.30/2 Pillsbury Refrigerated Grands! Biscuits Cans from 12/8 Smart Source #2 insert
    $0.30/2 Pillsbury Refrigerated Grands! Biscuits Cans from 11/24 Smart Source insert
    $0.30/2 Pillsbury Refrigerated Grands! Biscuits Cans from 11/17 Smart Source insert
    $0.30/2 Pillsbury Refrigerated Grands! Biscuits Cans from 11/10 Smart Source insert
    $0.40/3 Pillsbury Refrigerated Grands or Grands Jr Biscuits Cans from 1/26 Smart Source insert
    Final price: $0.64 each after coupon and doubled coupons

I condense to this:

Pillsbury Grands! Biscuits $0.88 (Must Buy 5; Limit 1 Offer)
    $0.30/2 from 1/5 12/15 12/8 11/24 11/17 11/10 SS or $0.40/3 from 1/26 SS : $0.64 each doubled

To me, writing “Smart Source Insert” conveys the same info as just writing “SS”.
    The deals that require a booklet coupon, I just make sure I group together under a heading “Coupon Book Deals (exp 1/29)” on my list, that way I dont need that text included with each individual deal.
    I already know to combine store coupon with manu coupon so I remove that “plus use:” part as well.

Hope that helps, thanks again for all you do.

• Drew says

One additional question regarding the way I use PYD.
      By copy/pasting into email than clicking to the printables from my email, does PYD still get the click or is that path somehow lost? I hope I am not causing you to lose out on revenue that by rights should go to PYD. Thanks.

Drew – If I understand you correctly, you copy the text from our website and then paste it into an email. If that is what you do, then our tracking links are being copied with you and we receive credit if you click through and print coupons from those links.

35. Amy says

Carrie & team -
    Thank you for all the time/effort you put into the lists! It is a huge help for me, and has saved my family a lot of money.
    I use the Aldi, Walmart, Menards, Cub, and occasionally CVS or Walgreens adds. I use your site because it is easy to mark what items I want, will combine them into a list that I can print, and (my favorite part!) is the coupons listed right next to each item. Especially when the coupons are printable. It is sooooo handy! I don’t have the time or know-how to find all the coupon/sale matchups on my own.
    One suggestion – would it be possible for users to help update the prices for Aldi? I shop there every week and would be happy to help keep the list updated.
    Thanks!

Amy – Right now the Aldi list is kept up-to-date by using the prices on regular items that are listed in the weekly ads (they have a few each week). We used to go to the store and do it but this way it’s done more immediately.

I’ll ask Carrie about having users help keep that list up-to-date. I like the idea in theory but I know that regular prices can vary from store to store (even in the metro area) so I’m a little hesitant to do so. Thanks for offering and we’ll keep you posted. :)

36. Treev says

Maybe someone already said this…I don’t have time to read every post. Besides, of course thanks so much for being able to use all that you do post that helps me save money.
    But I totally understand having to run your business to make money…after all that is why we are all here…to make money by saving money. So no one could fault you for that. It does make me wonder if some of the hype of couponing is dying away or the smaller sites will have to downsize and once again the bigger runs out smaller and will run some of the little sites out of business. Ah such is finance. I hope your site will remain it was my first site I began to follow and still one of my favorites. Good luck in the future!!!

Treev – The folding of smaller blogs is certainly a trend I’ve seen. We. are. not. going. anywhere. We’re viable, sustainable and here to stay. Like any business, we need to keep changing, evolving and growing as consumers change over time. Thanks for your thoughts!

37. gc says

Carrie and PYD Staff, Thank you for being open and honest about the upcoming changes. So many sites spring changes on visitors without explanation or reason, causing frustration. Because of your organization, simple to read formatting, and open honesty I keep returning to your site. I’m sad to see some changes, but completely understand and appreciate all you do. Thanks again!

38. Kris says

To echo the above comment thank you for the notice and clarity about the changes. I don’t know what I’d do without the PNS list! I’m so happy it’s going to stay. Thank you!

39. SSJ says

Tears… Cashwise brought me here so I guess this means good-bye. God bless you Carrie for the wonderful match up. You’re truly talented!

This works perfectly for me–I check PYD for Walgreens and CVS lists always and then usually Cubs and Menards. I very rarely have used the updated deals posts so I will not miss them and appreciate all the work you put into this whole process.

This is exactly why I love PYD: there is a commitment not only to what works but also to the readers. It is not true for all deal sites which is why I have continued to come back here when I stopped visiting certain “Extreme Coupon” sites. Thanks!

Sad to see you condensing your list. Times change and to keep up with things that are costing you money isn’t really a smart move.

Thanks for providing the list that you do, My favorite stores are CVS, Walgreens, target and Walmart.

Vinny

42. Janis says

First of all, thanks so much for all you do. When I want to actually print a list for a store, I love using your site. It’s just so easy to select what I need, and print a list that is formatted nicely and uses my paper efficiently (multiple columns). The two lists that I always use for your site are the Menards list and the Walmart list. I sure am glad to read that you are continuing the Menards list, although I’m disappointed in the fact that the Menards rebates are far and few between (other than the 11% rebate). I will miss the Walmart list.

43. JoAnne says

Carrie.
    You have mentioned that you will post on Sunday’s, our Copp’s ads run from Thursday-Wednesday. So starting today, does this mean that the ad won’t be up until this Sunday? I shop on Saturday’s and will really miss your list!

JoAnne – The Rainbow/Copps/Pick ‘n Save list that you’ll see posted on Sundays is the same ad that will start for you that same week on Thursday, so you’re actually getting a sneak peek of the ad. :)

44. Julie DeWilde says

I am so proud of you for letting go and letting it be more big picture!!!!!!!!!!! We will thrive without the details being just perfect. Thank you for all you do, and bless you!

45. bunnyrebellion says

I thought it was your “job” because you are passionate about families living well on limited income. When you caved to pressure from CVS and walgreens you are just following the trend. All the other coupon websites have also caved because getting products for free was not appreciated by those retailers. You got your book. You get paid for the website. Thanks for a nice run of helping folks get free merchandise to send to the troops and less fortunate. This is not rocket science.

I appreciate you leaving a comment, but I’m not sure I understand, although I want to. What pressure from CVS and Walgreens do you think I caved to?? I ask because it sounds like you are frustrated about something, but I’m not quite certain what it is. We will continue to publish weekly CVS and Walgreens list. They may look a little different, but avid shoppers should still be able to find great deals using them. As for my motivation in making these changes – I have had no outside pressure from any retailer to modify or adjust anything we’re doing here. Just doing my best to ensure that we can serve this community for the long-term. Being financially sustainable is an important part of that.

46. Elizabeth says

Carrie-
    I want to thank you so very much for your help.
    I appreciate your direct approach in your language style, transparency and the abundant respectful nature you show to your readers.
    Last but not least, I want to thank you for your pricing break downs. I have a learning disability in math but, with all the above mentioned qualities, I have found it very helpful in terms of you and your staff doing the math to help me save. That has been worth its weight in gold!

Thank you again and I pray for your continued success in years to come. BLESSINGS

47. melissa says

Rainbow and Cub are the stores that most interest me. It’s nice to be able to find the weekly matchups and any coupon books all in the same spot. Thank you for the time and effort spent each week.

I’ve been a huge fan of yours for years! One suggestion – after you post your ads and readers comment in the comments section with other deals, perhaps you could modify your comments to reflect an “Update.” Maybe a box they check that would then flag each comment with an update on it…

If not, even instructing readers to add, as the first word of the comment, the word “UPDATE” would certainly allow those who wish to use a to search for updates throughout the comments would help speed things along in searches.

It seems that would take care of some of the manual labor on your end in updating, as well as give your users an easy way to search for updates themselves in posts that aren’t specifically updated by you.

One more comment: I am a dissapointed in the CVS/Walgreens decision – I wonder if some of the lower readership is because many in different areas of the country aren’t as familiar with Pocket Your Dollars as those of us who live in the upper Midwest.

Is it possible you could be missing a marketing opportunity?

The weekly deals are the ones that save me the most money, for sure! As I mentioned before, perhaps creating an “update” template (or having your users place the word Update as the first word of the text) would allow some of your readers to basically do the updating for you! I know when I find a great deal and post it, I love the little opportunity to see it on your site. (Makes me feel smart, lol!)

Just a thought, and thanks for all you do, but I hope you’ll rethink the CVS/Walgreens decision – I think those sites have great opportunity for a national audience. Perhaps even doing the same thing you do for Cub and Rainbow for some of the other major stores would be worthwhile…my daughter would love to see Krogers!

50. Flannel Guy says

Carrie/Laura,

I’ve been pretty quiet for quite awhile now, but I want to thank you for all that you do. I have to agree with your stats…Since I now have a lifetime supply of body wash from 2 years ago, I really only pay attention to the Rainbow list.

• Flannel Guy says

Personally, I suggest a comprehensive list for Rainbow and a few “Exceptional Elsewhere” deals. I think you spend WAY too much time on the “Buy $35 of Unilever and get $2 off a future purchase” kind of deals. I suspect most Pocketeers scroll right past these time-intensive posts. I’m just looking for free pasta and deals on yogurt, TP, and meat.

• Drew says

i kind of agree with Flannel Guy.
        In the past I would take the time to go through those complicated Unilever or P&G deals. But it is truly very time consuming to match it all together.
        Although I suspect there is a fair amount of click revenue from those deals. So whatever works for PYD is good enough for me.

Drew – It *does* take a long time. I’m wondering if maybe we should just list a few deal ideas we see and call it good. We’ll think about it.

Hey stranger!! I have wondered where you ran off to, so I’m glad to see a comment from you. I appreciate your understanding. You’ve been a consistent PYD supporter for years and years. Thank you.

51. Theresa says

Carrie Thank you so much for all you do it was though you and your site I was able to save. Again Thank You for all you do!!!!!!

52. Julie says

Thank you for your Pick N Save lists. There are three of us using your lists every week. We know that their ads very slightly by location but your work is our starting point and inspiration. We use your links to print the coupons so if there is anything else we could be doing to improve your payback so you are able to continue to provide this very appreciated service, please let us know.

53. Megan says

Just want to a say a huge thank-you. I started following you on facebook when you had a 1,000 fans and I can’t believe how successful PYD has become. You saved my life when we were struggling to pay rent & pay off our student loans. I have saved thousands because of PYD. Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you for all you do!

54. Sarah Hamlin says

No complaints here…just gratitude for all you do. We save so much money each month thanks to you and your team!!!

Thanks Andy, I appreciate the sentiment, but I don’t need donations. If the audience who enjoys this content comes time and again, tells their friends, and uses us as a resource for their in-store and online shopping, then they’ve more than compensated me and the PYD team for our work.

55. Ashley Olson says

I love using coupons and I am so grateful to have found your site! It helps me a lot. However, I just moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico. The stores here have wonderful deals and but I know they could be even better if they got added to your shopping lists. The stores here are Albertsons and Smiths. I was wondering if you would ever consider branching out for other states?
    Ashley