This deal has expired and may no longer be valid.
We’ve rounded up the latest free weekend events, activities and crafts going on at various locations in the Twin Cities, Minnesota area and also nationwide from 1/24-1/26. Please leave a comment if you know of any others and we’ll add them to this list.
Your turn: What other free weekend events and activities do you know of?
Barnes & Noble
Check your local Barnes & Noble for events. Most stores have story times once or twice per week.
Some special events this month include:
Cabela’s offers various samples and demonstrations each weekend. Events vary by location, so check for details at your local store.
- Chinese New Year Dragon Puppet this Saturday
- Design Your Dream Bedroom: Sunday at 10am
Target sponsors free and reduced-priced admission opportunities at museums and cultural events nationwide. Select your city to find participating venues and their next scheduled discount day. In the Twin Cities area:
- The Walker Art Center is free every Thursday night as a part of Target Free Thursday Nights
Twin Cities Events
Saint Paul Winter Carnival — All Weekend
The Saint Paul Winter Carnival started January 23 and runs through February 2. There are about a bazillion things to do, many of them free. About.com has a roundup of major events, and both TwinCities.com and Family Fun Twin Cities highlight family-friendly activities and events.
Community Wellness Day at Roosevelt Middle School in Blaine – Saturday from 9am-1pm
Free cholesterol and blood sugar readings are provided, plus listen to keynote speakers on minimizing stress and jump-starting a healthy year. Free open swim coupons will be distributed at the event (open swim is from 1:30-3:30pm). A full schedule of events and activities is here.
Fridley WinterFest – Saturday from 1-4pm
From the website: “Enjoy a wild winter afternoon at Commons Park with the entire family. Sleigh rides, ice games, dog sled rides, and snowball launching are just a few of the many outdoor activities you can participate in. Afterward, keep warm at the huge bonfire while enjoying s’mores. Crafts, refreshments, BINGO, games and dancing located indoors at the Fridley Community Center.”
PBS KIDS Writers Contest Kick Off Event at the Mall of America – Sunday from 1-3pm
Celebrate the largest annual national contest of its kind for kids in K-3rd grade. Write, illustrate, dance to live music by The Bazillions, and meet WordGirl at the Rotunda in the Mall of America.
- Free Admission to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts: 10am-5pm Fridays and Saturdays, 11am-5pm Sundays
- Free Admission to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum (Chaska): 8am-5:30pm or sunset, whichever is later (through 1/31)
- Wells Fargo WinterSkate (Landmark Plaza – St. Paul): 11am-10pm Fridays and Saturdays, 11am-9pm Sundays (through 2/2)
- After School Is Cool: Fun Fridays (Brooklyn Park Library): 3:30-4:45pm (through 2/28)
- Family Fridays at Midtown Global Market (Minneapolis): 5-8pm
- Free Family Flicks (Theatres at Mall of America): 10am
- Kids Gaming (Hosmer Library – Minneapolis): 10am-12pm (through 2/22)
- Saturday Live! (Central Library – St. Paul): 11:15am-12pm (through 2/22)
- Deer Watch (Eastman Nature Center – Dayton): 4-5pm (through 1/25)
- Free Admission to the Bell Museum of Natural History (Minneapolis): 12-5pm
- Free Family Fun Day at Carl Kroening Interpretive Center (Minneapolis): 1-3pm (through 5/25, except 5/11)
Need More Ideas?
There are a bunch of other fabulous websites that highlight free activities in the Twin Cities metro area:
- Family Fun Twin Cities highlights several free family-friendly activities going on this weekend and also provides an on-going free calendar of activities each day.
- PhenoMNal Twin Cities lists freebies and discounts for adults in the Twin Cities and maintains an events calendar, as well.
- Thrifty Minnesota has an “events” category highlighting free and discounted activities for Minnesota folks.
- Twin Cities Frugal Mom cherry-picks a wide variety of family-friendly events with her Deals & Events calendar.
You can also check the MELSA calendar for free events at your local library.