Open Mic 6/20/13

Open Mic is a post every Thursday that is a mini-version of a discussion board. You can leave a comment with whatever coupon, money-saving or debt reduction tips or questions you have and other readers chime in and answer.

When you leave a comment on this post, you’ll be able to choose whether you’d like to be emailed follow-up comments or not. Getting comments via email is a great way to stay connected without having to visit the site a bazillion times (although I don’t mind if you come a bazillion times).

As always, I look forward to hearing the voice of the Pocket Your Dollars community. Read through the Open Mic archives here.

Your turn: Leave a comment with your money-saving, coupon or debt reduction question, thought or suggestion.

Two tips: 1) If you are reading this via email or an RSS feed, click on the title “Open Mic” to come back to the site and leave a comment and 2) If you are concerned about your privacy, just reference yourself by your initials and know that I will not >share your email address with anyone else.

Comments

1. cb says

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get reasonably priced baby shower invites? I’ll need about 30 of them.

• sara says

I usually make my own. You can buy paper and envelopes by the pound at anchor paper and easy and cute design ideas online.

• Monica says

I have ordered a design on etsy for between $10 and $15 then have the file printed at Office Max. Just have the etsy designer design them so there are 2 5×7 invites per 8.5×11 sheet. Then Office Max can print 15 sheets of cardstock for you. They will even cut them so there are no ugly margins! I have found this to be the most reasonable for any type of invite anymore.

• Sue K says

My niece just recently sent out ones that she made, I’m assuming she did them in the walmart photo dept. as it was a photo with all the invite lettering on top of it. They were really cute and cost effective.

• Jackie says

I live close to a store in St. Cloud called Gopher Bargain Center and they have a great deal of awesome cards, some wedding stuff and invites:) If you are close I’d check there!

2. ella says

Linders flower marts started their 50% off sale yesterday. Everything at their tent locations around the Cities is 50% off- hanging baskets, annuals, perennials, herbs, vegetables, potting mix, etc.

• Kari says

The Richfield Mart is scheduled to close on Tuesday 6/25 and they still had a lot of NICE plants yesterday.

• tag says

Oh, wow! Thanks for the reminder. Around here all the parking lot greenhouses disappear the week after the Fourth. Time to find some shrubs to baby.

3. Christa says

I remember there was a deal recently for 52 weeks of the Star Tribune for $25 or $26 for new subscribers in Dakota County, but I can not find it. Can anyone help?

4. Laura says

I am wondering if anyone else shops (at least occasionally) at Byerlys/Lunds and has tried their partner site mylinkables.com where you can sign up a payment (check/debit/credit) card that you use most frequently to get special promotional deals? I read about it in one of their complimentary magazine/brochures at the entrance/exit of the store. I just want others to know that I did try it and it does work! My account has been reimbursed for the specials that are “linked” to my card. What I haven’t tried yet is to also use a coupon in conjunction with their deals to see if I still get the full value but so far, so good! Has anyone else tried it and if so, what do you think so far?

5. Sidney says

I just saw the post for the free Shutterfly post. It mentioned uninstalling the app once you get the promo code. Does anybody know how to do this?

Yes. On the top right-hand corner of your FB page you should see an icon that looks like a big asterisk. Click on it and then select “Account Settings”. From there select “Apss” from the left-hand menu. Then you’ll see a list of installed apps. Just delete the OfferPop one.

Does that help?

6. Lily says

Has anyone have experience with Mini Split Ductless AC/heater? I am currently looking to purchase a unit for the upstairs of my house. Is there a place to find a great deal?

7. nikki says

I was reading some other coupon forums and folks were saying CVS was excepting expired CVS Qs and MQs. So, I stopped in the verify at the Rogers CVS. I spoke with an assistant manager. She said yes. I asked how far exp: 1 month, 3 month, 6 month. She said nothing to extremely expired so probably not the 6 month. She said it also depends on the cashier as to how long expired. Was hearing that from the forums also. It seems its is a YMMV as to how long expired. I only stopped and asked at the Rogers CVS.

Anyone else know which stores are taking expired Qs?

• Cassie says

I only shop at the CVS in Blaine off of Radisson and 109th. They accept both CVS and Man. Q’s 30 days expired!

• Jo says

Probably depends on the cashier. Eden Prairie Yes, Shakopee No. Had 1 tried on Sunday that had expired on Saturday wouldnt take it.

8. Emily says

Hi Everyone,

I would love some feedback on no contract cell phone plans. We are looking to upgrade our phones to the Iphones but we want the least expensive plan. We would rather pay for the phone out of pocket rather than sign up for a 2 year agreement.

We’ve heard that some of the no contract plans (on Virgin Mobile, Straight Talk) do not have good service when you are out of town, for example on the North Shore or traveling through states without high populations (Montana, for example).

Does anyone have any helpful feedback? Any plan in particular that has offered great signal regardless of where you are?

• Terri says

T-Mobile is no contract. I think you have the option to pay for the phone in full or pay $100 down and $20 each month which equals the cost of the phone after 24 months. After 24 months your phone is paid off and you don’t have to pay the $20. Just the cost of the plan which is a lot cheaper than ATT, Sprint, Or Verizon

• Jackie says

We love love love our boost mobile no contract phones:) Unlimited everything started out paying $50 a month and they reduce it by $5 every six months you pay on time. Now I only pay $45:) my husband is down to $40! Also have had very good customer service…they replaced a phone for me before even though I didn’t have a service plan or extended warranty or anything because it was still under a manufacturers warranty I guess. Anytime I have had troubled service when I called them it seemed they already were aware of the problem and were working on it—example tower down.

• Barb says

I just shopped yesterday for noncontract phones at Target and found the best deal was Virgin Mobile – a smartphone with keypad and it requires $35 per month for 300 minutes. the phone was $50. So that was cheaper than Walmart’s deals. I am not a heavy user and so it should work for me. If not, for 1200 minutes, the monthly card is $45 and for unlimited it’s $55. texts and data are unlimited on all of these. My husband has T mobile from Walmart for $30 a month but only 100 minutes of talk. He paid $100 for the phone.

9. Jen says

This isn’t really deal related but I was wondering if anyone has eaten at Crave in Edina? So not my scene: the Galleria, but I was wondering what the typical dress code is like for a brunch. I’m attending an organized brunch for someone in a couple of weeks and just want to know what to expect.

• Mary says

I’ve only been to the Crave at MoA so it really has a wide range of dress. I’d probably go with “church” dress or business casual.

10. Jonna says

Just got a Medica Healthy Savings card in the mail. Evidently a new program Medica is offering to some. They partnered with Rainbow and Cub and soon to be Byerly’s/Lund’s to offer savings for healthy eating with discounts each week on certain foods. I’m having a hard time figuring out how this will work at the register. Can I pair with store and mfg q’s? Or does it act like one or the other, so I couldn’t use them? I don’t want to hold up people at a register my first time through and was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Thanks!

11. Rachel says

Wondering if anyone has a price list of stock up prices in the twin cities metro. I love saving money, and would love to start saving even more money. I think it can be very hard to do in the twin cities. The only store I know that doubles is Rainbow Foods, we started shopping more and more at aldis for diffrent things. I dont mind going to a few diffrent stores. I would love to start building a stock pile on a few items. How are folks getting some of these crazy deals? Please share your tricks with us. Thank You