This deal has expired and may no longer be valid.
We’ve rounded up the latest free events, activities and crafts going on at various locations in the Twin Cities, Minnesota area and also nationwide this weekend (5/17-5/19). Please leave a comment if you know of any others and we’ll add them to this list.
We’ve partnered with Family Fun Twin Cities to present a free Twin Cities events calendar for kids and families. You should be able to click on the title of each event for more information, including location/address and a website (if applicable).
Your turn: What other free weekend events and activities do you know of?
- American Girl Historical Character Scavenger Hunt: Friday from 5-7pm
- Kit’s Tree House Craft: Friday from 5-7pm
Barnes & Noble
Check your local Barnes & Noble for events. Most stores have story times once or twice per week.
Some special events this month include:
- Dr. Seuss’s Oh, the Places You’ll Go! Storytime, Activities & Treats
- Hands-On Learning Storytime with LEGO
Cabela’s offers various samples and demonstrations each weekend. Events vary by location, so check for details at your local store.
- Working with MIDI in Pro Tools 10 is the topic for this Saturday’s workshop
Home Depot offers free workshops for adults to help you improve your DIY skills. Check the Home Depot website for details and to register online.
- Exciting Outdoor Living Updates: Saturday from 10-11:30am
- Critter Creations this Saturday
- Perfect Summer Party Ideas: Sunday at 10am (RSVP)
Pottery Barn Kids
Stop by Pottery Barn Kids for a Nursery Style Event on Saturday from 4-6pm. Check out a showcase of their latest baby collections and get design advice. Find a Pottery Barn Kids location near you.
Target sponsors free and reduced-priced admission opportunities at museums and cultural events nationwide. Select your city to find participating venues and their next scheduled discount day. In the Twin Cities area:
- The Walker Art Center is free every Thursday night as a part of Target Free Thursday Nights
- The Minnesota Children’s Museum is free every third Sunday as a part of Target Free Third Sundays
Williams-Sonoma stores offer various special events and cooking classes, some of which are free to attend.
- This weekend’s class is Gear Up for Grilling – Homemade Condiments & Toppings. Times for this one-hour class vary by location and reservations are recommended. Contact your local Williams-Sonoma for more information.
Twin Cities Events
We’ve partnered with Family Fun Twin Cities to offer a free family fun calendar for the Twin Cities area (look below for more adult-friendly events). In addition to these, be sure to check the MELSA calendar for free events at your local library.
Free Twin Cities Events (For Families & Kids)
Free Twin Cities Events (for Adults)
PhenoMNal Twin Cities also has a calendar with Twin Cities events (not just free events) for adults.
- DIRECTED: The Intersection of Book, Film and Visual Narrative Opening Reception (Minnesota Center for Book Arts – Minneapolis): 6-9pm
- Beautiful Belly/Beyond the Belly Fitness Series at lululemon (St. Louis Park): 8:30am (register online)
- Garlic Mustard Pull and Harvest (Silverwood Park – St. Anthony): 9am-1pm
- National Armed Forces Free Hero Class (inFIT/Anytime Fitness – Albertville): 10-11am (free for military, fire & rescue, police and family members – registration required)
- Working with MIDI in Pro Tools 10 (Guitar Center locations): 10-11am
- Exciting Outdoor Living Updates (Home Depot locations): 10-11:30am
- Hardscape Seminar: Easy to Build Outdoor Fireplace (Bachman’s – Minneapolis): 11am-1pm
- Boots and Blooms (Fort Snelling State Park): 1-2pm (vehicle permit required)
- Spice & Slice of Asian America: FOB (Southdale Library – Edina): 2pm
- Nursery Style Event (Pottery Barn Kids locations): 4-6pm
- Perfect Summer Party Ideas (Pottery Barn locations): 10am (RSVP)
Other Local Areas
If you know of a website or blog that highlights free events for a particular area in Minnesota or Wisconsin, please leave a comment or email me at laura @ pocketyourdollars.com (remove spaces) so we can highlight it here: