We’ve rounded up the latest free events, activities and crafts going on at various locations in the Twin Cities, Minnesota area and also nationwide this weekend (5/10-5/12). Please leave a comment if you know of any others and we’ll add them to this list.
We’ve partnered with Family Fun Twin Cities to present a free Twin Cities events calendar for kids and families. You should be able to click on the title of each event for more information, including location/address and a website (if applicable).
Your turn: What other free weekend events and activities do you know of?
- Mother’s Day Card Craft: Sunday from 1-3pm
Barnes & Noble
Check your local Barnes & Noble for events. Most stores have story times once or twice per week.
Some special events this month include:
Cabela’s offers various samples and demonstrations each weekend. Events vary by location, so check for details at your local store.
- Working with Audio in Pro Tools 10 is the topic for this Saturday’s workshop
Home Depot offers free workshops for adults to help you improve your DIY skills. Check the Home Depot website for details and register online.
- Updates for Outside Your Home: Exterior Paint: Saturday from 10-11:30am
- Deck Staining, Maintenance & Cleaning: Sunday from 1-2:30pm
- Mommy’s Memories Photo Frame this Saturday
Twice per month Lowe’s offers kids an opportunity to build their own project. The project is offered Saturdays at 10am. Be sure to sign up in advance online.
- Sweetheart Frame this Saturday
- Frame It: Chic Wall and Table Displays: Sunday at 10am (RSVP)
Pottery Barn Kids
Stop by Pottery Barn Kids for a Mother’s Day Crafting Station this week. Kids can make a complimentary Mother’s Day Badge at the crafting station. Find a Pottery Barn Kids location near you.
Target sponsors free and reduced-priced admission opportunities at museums and cultural events nationwide. Select your city to find participating venues and their next scheduled discount day. In the Twin Cities area:
- The Walker Art Center is free every Thursday night as a part of Target Free Thursday Nights
- The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is free every second Sunday as a part of Target Family Day
Twin Cities Events
We’ve partnered with Family Fun Twin Cities to offer a free family fun calendar for the Twin Cities area (look below for more adult-friendly events). In addition to these, be sure to check the MELSA calendar for free events at your local library.
Free Twin Cities Events (For Families & Kids)
Free Twin Cities Events (for Adults)
PhenoMNal Twin Cities also has a calendar with Twin Cities events (not just free events) for adults.
- Free Health Screenings at Sam’s Club
- Take-A-Mom Fishing Weekend
- Hardscape Seminar: Paving and Wall System Installation Tips (Bachman’s – Minneapolis): 9-11am
- Volunteer Tree Planting Event (Coldwater Spring – Fort Snelling): 9am-12pm (register online)
- Garlic Mustard Pull and Harvest (Silverwood Park – St. Anthony): 9am-1pm
- Working with Audio in Pro Tools 10 (Guitar Center locations): 10-11am
- Updates for Outside Your Home: Exterior Paint (Home Depot locations): 10-11:30am
- St. Paul Craftstravaganza (MN State Fairgrounds – St. Paul): 10am-5pm
- Mamapalooza (Ridgedale Center – Minnetonka): 10:30am-2:30pm
- Pierre Bottineau Open House (Elm Creek Park Reserve – Maple Grove): 10am-2pm
- Take-A-Mom Fishing Weekend
- Frame It: Chic Wall and Table Displays: 10am (RSVP)
- Deck Staining, Maintenance & Cleaning (Home Depot locations): 1-2:30pm
- Handcycle Open House (Elm Creek Park Reserve – Maple Grove): 6-8pm
Other Local Areas
If you know of a website or blog that highlights free events for a particular area in Minnesota or Wisconsin, please leave a comment or email me at laura @ pocketyourdollars.com (remove spaces) so we can highlight it here: