CVS Shopping List 1/20 – 1/26/13

If you’re new to CVS, your first step is to learn the ins and outs of the Extra Bucks program and learn how to read this shopping list. For those who use reusable bags, you may want to buy a green bag tag.

And if you regularly purchase beauty products at CVS, I recommend enrolling in the CVS Extra Care Beauty Club, which is free to join. As a member, you will receive $3 Extra Bucks on your birthday in addition to other opportunities for free Extra Bucks. Read this post to find out more.

Remember that this is a starting list of deals for the week. We will update this list as readers leave comments with bargains they found at their local store, we get emails with deal ideas or we read about other deals across the blogosphere. Items that are added throughout the week will be noted as NEW. Items whose final price changes as a result of a new or modified coupon scenario will be noted as UPDATED. At least once this week we will send out a reminder to come back and check this list for the hottest new deals.

Your turn: What other deals did you find this week at CVS?

Comments

1. Intchina says

What do you do when a sales clerk is polite but totally ignorant about how store promotions work in combination with manufacturer's coupons? I had a fairly unpleasant situation at CVS today and I want to do something about it, although I am not sure what.

• Intchina says

Unfortunately, I already had a not-so-pleasant encounter with the store manager a couple of weeks back – she was explaining 'at' me how ALL varieties from the circular really didn't mean 'all' when ECB didn't print for an offer. I guess I will just stick to Walgreens… Being frugal is supposed to be a positive thing, not a humiliating or stressful one.

Thank you all for your advice and input

2. Katherine says

Thanks for the list! You didn't mention the Listerine/Reach/Rembrandt extra bucks deal–Spend $10, get $5 EB's. The limit for that deal is 2. There are $1/1 coupons for Listerine in the 1/6 SS (there were 2 SS's that day, the one titled "Healthy Essentials"). I plan to do that one, but the second part of my comment is: Do you know if I can spend $20(+) on 3 bottles and get $10 EB's? Or do I have to purchase say, 2 smaller bottles at something like $5.39ea. so that each purchase is separate, for each "Spend $10, get $5 EB's" deal? I think the big bottles are around $7 or $8. Also, since I don't believe the Listerine is on sale, you could use the 20% coupon.

3. Brenda says

At CVS yesterday a whole slew of Speed Stick deoderant was on clearance for .97. I came home to find the $1 off coupon…MY TIMING IS OFF! :)

4. Leanne says

Does anyone else think the $10 back on $30 is a great deal when it applies to stocking up on soda, paper towels and toilet paper? I think it is a good price, but am I missing something?

• Drew says

I was looking at that as well.

3 packs of the Charmin at $9.99 = $29.97, would that be close enough to $30 get the $10 back?

If so that would make it $0.42/roll.

5. ella says

There was an article on front page of Tuesday's Star Trib about some research findings regarding an ingredient in antibacterial soaps, deodorants, plaque fighting toothpaste, and many other products. It's called triclosan, and researchers from UM and Minnesota Science Museum have found that it's been steadily increasing in amounts in our lakes and rivers since it first appeared in soaps in the 1960s. The EPA is studying whether when it reacts with our chlorinated treated water, plus sunlight, it creates dioxins that are accumulating in our lakes and rivers, yikes! Soaps and other products without triclosan apparently work just as well at cleaning and reducing germs. According to the article, Canada plans to ban it from consumer products, and Johnson and Johnson is apparently phasing it out in their products. The FDA says there is not yet enough evidence to recommend limiting it's use, but is studying it's health effects. There is also research evidence that this chemical disrupts hormones in animals, and the ability of algae to use sunlight.

I checked some labels and found it in the liquid soap and toothpaste my family uses. In future I plan to try to avoid products with this ingredient. Perhaps I should post this in open mike.

Thank you, Katherine! I think John Ewoldt wrote a nice piece and I'm honored that both he and his editor think the book is valuable enough to their readers to have given it the kind of coverage they did.

7. Jill Pearson says

I got a $25% off coupon in my email today! Helps make some of the ecb deals way cheaper. I know it only goes off regular price but what about bogos? do you get 25% off with bogo or no?

Jill – I believe BOGO pricing is considered a sale price. Whenever I get the % off coupon, I have them scan it no matter what I'm purchasing and then see whatever discount I get. It doesn't change what I purchase.

9. Talonda Brown says

I received a $2 off any 2 hand & body lotions coupon from the print center today which would make the Eucerin deal even sweeter! FREE after ECBs! Also received a $4 off Aveeno facial care coup….love those "random walk in and swipe your card at the coupon center" trips!

10. ashlyh11 says

just letting everyone know, if you didnt already, CVS Will be phasing out the green bag tags, sometime around April. they are no longer available in store, and have been recalled due to a quality control issue.

my guess is people who use them but dont actually have bags… happens a lot at the store i work at.

11. ashlyh11 says

yYes Laura, any bogo items are considered on sale & nnot valid with percent off coupons. usually if an item has a tag on it then it is considered on sale, and those ccoupons wont work.. not sure about items that are normal price but give ecb's back. i think you can still use % coupons with them, i know my employee discount works on them.