Aldi Shopping List 1/6 – 1/12/13

First-time Aldi shoppers, you’ll need to bring a quarter (not 25 cents, but a quarter) for the refundable deposit on your cart and bring your own grocery bags. They take cash or debit card, but not credit card. Find an Aldi near you.

If it helps you appreciate Aldi a little more, read Wikipedia’s article about them and learn that Aldi is owned by the parent company that owns Trader Joe’s. Don’t forget Aldi’s double guarantee too, where you will get a replacement product AND a refund if you are not 100% satisfied.

Your turn: What else will you pick up this week at Aldi?

Comments

1. Sarah says

I noticed today that Aldi appears to have a new line of organic items. Cereal, fruit strips, chocolate, spaghetti sauce and chicken broth are a few of the things I remember seeing but there were many more. There seemed to be a variety of items all around the store, frozen meals and things like that too.

2. Val says

Grapes were $3.99 at my store, but they are darker red than most of the grapes I've seen at other stores. I didn't think that was too bad for 2 lb of grapes at this time of yr.

I tried their "Friendly Farms" Greek honey flavored yogurt today. really good and at .89 a cup, a great bargain.

The Clementine Cuties, be careful. I got a very good bag, but I saw several that had really gushy, rotting, clementines in them. If you find a good bag, $1.49 is super, because 2 lb clementines at the Festival where I sometimes shop were $4.99.

3. Val says

I had noticed that too, Sarah; it's called "Simply" something, isn't it? It was good to see an expansion of organicoptions–Fit and Active is branded as "healthy" but I don't think it is considered organic.

4. Val says

I also wanted to mention that I used the "double guarantee" yesterday. I had tried their Caesar salad dressing and it was too "black peppery" for me. There was nothing wrong with the quality, it was a matter of taste. I took my bottle back (the manager had told me another time to always bring the package back with the remnants of what you didn't use) and I got a replacement bottle of another flavor salad dressing. I think you are also supposed to get your money back for the item you brought back, and I think the cashier didn't credit me for that. No big deal to me. It was a new cashier, and I wasn't paying attention..I was still loading things onto the belt.

5. Aga says

Val, thanks for posting that, I just reopened this list to ask if anyone had info on how to use that guarantee because we also tried something new that wasn't too our liking. Appreciate that you shared how you did it, I'll be following your lead. :)

• Val says

You're welcome! I have used the guarantee maybe 3 times now…twice for things that were of poor quality (bagels that had mold on them when we got home, strawberries with the same issue) and once for something that wasn't to my liking. On the website it doesn't say much about how to do it. The first time I brought the receipt and the empty bagel bag since I had eaten the ones without mold and thrown the others away, and he said I could have just brought the whole thing back. Also, I didn't have my receipt any more for the salad dressing, but it didn't seem to matter, altho' if you do still have your receipt, it couldn't hurt to bring it.

6. Autumn says

I have to say that Aldi has what I think to be a pretty great price on Maple Syrup. Its 100% Maple ( not maple flavored sugar water) and its an 8.5 oz bottle for 3.99. Thats $0.46/oz versus Great Value's $0.55/oz

7. rachel says

Many prices now need updating now that the holiday season is over. I.e. cheese is now back to 1.79 etc. Butter is no longer 1.99 etc

8. Val says

Autumn, I now buy all my maple syrup at Aldi. I agree with you, it is a great price. I haven't seen anywhere have a lower price than Aldi. And, it is just as tasty as any of the higher priced maple syrup.