Walgreens Shopping List 12/30 – 1/5/13

If you’re new to Walgreens shopping, then learn how the Balance Rewards Program works. Plus, learn how the Register Rewards program works and learn how to read this shopping list. Don’t forget that some other stores will accept Register Rewards like a manufacturer’s coupon. Also, it’s a good idea to print out Walgreens’ official coupon policy and keep it with you in case an issue comes up at checkout.

This is a starting list of deals for the week and is not a comprehensive list of every sale item and its coupons, but just the best deals (things at prices I’d actually pay). We will update this list as readers leave comments with bargains they found at their local store, we get emails with deal ideas or we read about other deals across the blogosphere. Items that are added throughout the week will be noted as NEW. Items whose final price changes as a result of a new or modified coupon scenario will be noted as UPDATED. At least once this week, we will send out a reminder to come back and check this list for the hottest new deals.

Walgreens is the one store where an advertised sale like “2/$4” usually requires you to buy two products. The first one rings at full price and the second product will ring at a lesser price to bring the total to $4, using our example. If you ever question whether you need to buy two to receive a sale price, ask the cashier to scan one item for you. If it rings at full price, then you know you need to buy two products. If it rings at the sale price, then you don’t.

Your turn: What other deals did you find this week at Walgreens?

Comments

Just wondering…I spent $4.50 on a non-taxable item and used my Balance Rewards to pay for it. Exactly 5,000 points were subtracted. Is that supposed to happen?

• jo says

Yes it will deduct, based on their chart of earning, the closest amount equal to or closest to your total. Can only use in the same increments as awarded for redemption.

2. Naomi says

I did the Starbucks scenario last night at the Shorewood store. It is a great deal but you won't get the 3000 points if you use the coupons. After coupons your total is less than $20 so no bonus points.

Naomi – Manufacturer's coupons shouldn't count toward the $20 minimum. Did you have another store discount (work discount, store coupon, etc.)? That may have brought the total below $20. Otherwise it's possible that not all of the items you purchased counted toward the offer.

I've used manufacturer's coupons in the past at Walgreens that have brought my minimum below the threshold and I've still received the points/Register Reward/etc.

4. Michelle Ahrens says

For the Advil PM coupon what zip code are you using?

Also Walgreens has Loreal Preference Hair Color on sale this week Buy One Get One 50% off! With a few coupons to stack you can pick them up for only $0.87 each this week!

Here’s the deal:

Buy 2 Loreal Preference Hair Color, $8.49 (second one rings up at $4.25)

Use (2) $3/1 L’Oreal Preference Hair Color printable

AND stack with (1) $5/2 Loreal Preference Hair Color Walgreens January Booklet

Pay: $1.74 OOP

Final Price: $0.87 each!

• Amy RS says

Has anyone verified this in-store yet? Was planning a trip today, but have heard that this deal is not available at all locations…? Thanks! :)

• mary says

Michelle, the Advil PM coupon is no longer available. Thanks for commenting so we could remove that deal. Also, I see on Wild for Wags that there weren't many people finding the hair color on sale for that price. I added it to the list at the higher price with a note that people may find a better deal on it. Did you actually buy it for that price at your store? Thanks!

I tried to get the vitamins today using the 4.00 coupon from the book. I had the vitamins and a bag of .99 candy. I handed over 2.00 RR and the 4.00 vitamin coupon. Cashier scanned the 4.00 coupon, then the 2.00 RR and the register added the 4.00 back in. She called the manager who said my order had to be at least 10.00 because I was earning a 10.00 RR. I have never had that happen before. Has anyone else had this problem? You might want to check your receipts to make sure the 4.00 did, in fact, come off.

Deb – I have never heard of that before, but Walgreens coupons are notoriously wonky so I'm not terribly surprised.

I haven't shopped at Walgreens in *months* so I couldn't speak to my own experience. Did anyone else run into this?

• FrugalCat says

I bought the vitamins and paid with the RR from the diet pills. $10 paid with $10 RR, so my total was ZERO! The register opened, the receipt printed out and then the RR printed. No problems.