iTunes Gift Card Deal: Spend $5 for $10

The longer we own our iPad, the more tempted I am to retract my statement “I will only use free apps, free music and free stuff. Period.” Sure, there are lots of great freebies out there, but I can see how upgraded apps and entire mp3 albums are  worth the money. That’s especially true if you can get an iTunes gift card on sale.

If you are a new customer at Saveology.com, then you can buy a $10 iTunes gift card for $5 right now.

I know they’ve run this type of deal before and many of you have purchased discount gift cards. How long did it take for your gift card to arrive? Anything else we should know based on your experience?

If iTunes isn’t your thing, but you are a first-time Saveology customer you could choose a different discount gift card:

Personally, I am first buying the iTunes gift card as a stocking stuffer for my husband, then getting the Discount Dining Dollars.

Since we are talking about gift cards, I do have one other question – would you find it valuable if I tracked prices at online gift card sites like Plastic Jungle and Gift Cards.com and let you know when cards for certain big brands went on sale? Or, are you not interested in buying discounted gift cards at all?

Comments

Krista – Let me see if I explain this. You login to their website (http://www.discountdiningdollars.com/index.jsp). Then you have options – Dining, Shopping or Entertainment. You pick one of those, then you pick the zip code or city where you are interested in looking at coupons. Then you get a list of coupons – they match almost 100% with the coupons that are found in that area's Entertainment Book. You "buy" individual coupons using your Discount Dining Dollars credit. The coupons are printable.

I just checked and can still login to a demo. So, I checked the prices and whatever the amount of the discount is on the coupon – say it is Buy One, Get One Free up to $8 off, then you would spend $8 in Discount Dining Dollars credit for that one coupon. In essence, with this Saveology deal – which I bought – I'll get $100 in discounts to stores, restaurants or entertainment venues of my choosing.

If Discount Dining Dollars gives me permission, then I'll take some screen shots and put together a detailed blog post about it.

1. Cokiwa says

I am a big fan of free apps, but to be perfectly honest, there are some apps that are so cool they are definitely worth the money. I try to vet the paid apps carefully by trying out the free app version and deciding if unlocking more aspects of the game is worth the money, and I pay a lot of attention to the reviews before buying an app. I watch for deals like these, redeem SwagBucks for iTunes cards, and purchase discounted iTunes cards at retailers whenever they're offered. I use the ITunes cards at rewards and gifts all the time as well. And it never ceases to amaze me how much more motivated my son is to perform a special chore or task for the opportunity to purchase an app for $1.99 than he ever would be if I offered him two $1 bills.

2. Ashley V says

I have discovered a "new to me" app called AppShopper. It lets you track the prices of apps and will notify you if an app that you are interested in has dropped its price. I was completely shocked that one day an app was $9.99 and the next day $0.99 or sometimes free!

3. Katie says

I'd love the gift card tracking! Especially as it gets closer to the holidays/ "Black Friday", it might be nice to pair a cheap gift card with the stuff that goes on sale.

4. Lynnay says

Carrie, your ideas and willingness to help a bunch of strangers save money astounds me! You and your team have been such a gift from God to my family. As a stay at home mom, I have found savings close to what a part time job would offer. I, too, love the gift card idea, as my kids are itunes fans. Not to mention the option for an inexpensive date night with the hubby every now and then. Thanks for sharing with us.

Lynnay – When I started Pocket Your Dollars in March 2009 my desire was to help my friends and family get through the Great Recession. I never in a million years would have guessed that it would grow into a thriving online community (although I'm glad it did!). I never imagined that I'd be able to make a living as a full-time money saver (I'm thrilled to be able to). Through all the ebbs and flows, ups and downs, my heart remains unchanged – first and foremost, I want to provide a valuable service to the community around me. It makes me happy to know that it is valuable to you.

5. Gretchen says

I bought the Saveology $5 for $10 deal (actually I got it for $4) and I'm not quite sure what to think of that vendor. I had to call to redeem the voucher. Then while we "waited" for it to redeem, they pitched their elite membership to me. She wasn't overly pushy. But in this electronic age I didn't like having to call. It's also a physical card mailed to your address, which is clear in the fine print. But I was surprised b/c so many vendors offer electronic gift card codes.