2012 Teacher Appreciation Days at Jo-Ann, Michaels, Office Depot, OfficeMax, and Staples

Summer is winding down, which means it’s time for teachers to start checking their school supply lists and getting back into the swing of things around the classroom. Select retailers host teacher appreciation events each year to give teachers exclusive savings (especially considering teachers end up paying for a lot of what they need out-of-pocket) and goodies just for coming in to the store.

We’ve found teacher events at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores, Michaels, Office Depot, OfficeMax, and Staples. Please leave a comment if you know of any other events so we can add them to this list.

Jo-Ann - Teacher Appreciation Days

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Teacher Appreciation Days are this Saturday and Sunday, August 11 and 12. Present your current teacher ID and state-issued photo ID to get 25% off purchases both days.

Plus, sign up for the Teacher Rewards Program to get 15% off every purchase all year long as well as a bonus coupon for 20% off when you enroll or re-enroll.

Michaels - Back-to-School Events

Michaels hasn’t yet released any details about their Back-to-School Events, but check back for dates (we’ll update this post as soon as we find out more). Teachers get 15% off your entire purchase every day; see a store associate for details.

Office Depot – Star Teacher Appreciation Week

Office Depot’s Star Teacher Appreciation Week is coming up soon. Dates/times vary by location, but all of the Minnesota locations that I checked are hosting this event from August 19-25 with free Breakfast and Giveaways on Saturday, August 25 from 9-11am.

Teachers can get 20% off instantly on regularly-priced qualifying in-store items all week long when you use your Star Teacher Member Card (maximum discount $20.00).

OfficeMax – Teacher Appreciation Days

OfficeMax’s Teacher Appreciation Days also vary by location, but the Minnesota locations that I checked are having this event from Saturday, August 18 through Monday, August 20.

MaxPerks Rewards for Teachers members will get the following benefits:

• 25% off your purchase (including sale-priced items)
  • free reusable tote bag
  • higher purchase limits (up to 20 items)

Staples Teacher Appreciation Day

Staples’ Teacher Appreciation Day is a one-day only event (dates vary by location). All Minnesota stores are hosting Teacher Appreciation Day on Saturday, August 18 from 9am-12pm.

Teachers will receive:

• free thank-you gift bag for the first 100 teachers with bonus coupon to use at the event
  • sneak peek at must-have new items for your classroom
  • time to catch up with colleagues

Your turn: Teachers, have you attended any of these events in the past? Which are you planning to check out this year, and what items are a best bet to purchase on these special days?

Comments

1. debbie says

Would these stores include childcare providers along with teachers???? We sure need the discounts all of supplies are provided by at home childcare providers.

Debbie – JoAnn's program is available for licensed childcare providers:

Early Childhood Professionals require:
    *current license or certification issued by local, state or federal government to be a childcare provider, and
    *state-issued photo ID

I don't see any indication on the other programs that they're open to anyone except licensed K-12 teachers. It doesn't hurt to ask, though! :)

• Cokiwa says

Homeschooling moms should also ask about teacher discounts. Some programs are open to them, as they're teaching their children.

3. Lori Rice says

While I respect mothers who home school their children, I don't believe that a teacher appreciation day, which gives some breaks to teachers who are buying supplies for other peoples' children, should include them. Just my opinion.

In response to your comment Lori, while I also respect teachers who teach other peoples children, I do not agree with your statement about home school mom's not needing the perks on school supplies.

As a home school mom for over 15 years, I can tell you that I get no tax break because my children don't attend public school. They don't give me back the money you would have spent for supplies for my children, or books etc. I not only have to buy my child's books and curriculum, but also art supplies, school supplies, things like white boards, visuals, easels, etc., etc. My curriculum alone this year was $795 for one child! That really puts a strain on an already strained budget.

I'm not complaining, I choose to home school my children, I'm just saying we need the help as much as a public or private school teacher. Trust me, we work as hard as any teacher out there, and we deserve an appreciation day as much as you do.

Just like you are entitled to your opinion…this is mine.

Ladies – Thanks for communicating respectfully. I appreciate both your perspectives and a m glad you feel comfortable sharing your viewpoints here. I'd ask that we end this conversation here and redirect it to the events, our experiences with them and other similar ideas we might know about for teachers and/or homeschooling families. Thanks!