Settlement Round-Up: Receive a Cash Refund, Credit or Voucher for Nutella, iTunes + More

You may have purchased some popular products in recent years, including Nutella and iTunes Gift Cards, that could make you eligible for a cash refund, store credit or product vouchers (or coupons) as part of class action lawsuit settlements.

Please note, I’ve listed these settlements for your own personal reference, and claims should only be made if you purchased the products and meet outlined requirements.

We’ve separated the products below (listed in alphabetical order) and included details about each class action lawsuit settlement as well as instructions on you can submit a claim. Each settlement has its own date that you need to submit a claim by, which are highlighted in red below.

Diamond of California Walnuts

If you purchased a 3 lb. bag of Diamond of California Walnuts at a Sam’s Club store between March 22, 2006 and January 30,2012, you may be eligible to receive a payment up to $24.75 ($8.25 per 3 lb. bag purchased) as part of a class action lawsuit settlement. Or, if you purchased any other Diamond of California walnut product during that timeframe, you are eligible to receive up to $3.25 per bag. During those dates, Diamond of California allegedly advertised misleading and false health claims about its walnuts, and is being sued for misleading consumers.

How to Submit a Claim

To participate in this settlement, you will either need to fill out the online claim form or download a paper claim and mail it to the address provided on the form. Proof of purchase is not required for claims of three or less 3 lb. bags of Walnuts or five or less bags of any other Walnut products. More than this does require proof of purchase. Limit of 24 bags per person. Claim forms must be submitted either online or postmarked by September 7, 2012 to be eligible.

When Will I Receive the Settlement?

There is no exact date as to when you will receive the benefits, but they will begin to be distributed after a judge grants final approval to the Settlement (the hearing is scheduled for August 24) and after any appeals are resolved. If, however, the judge doesn’t approve the Settlement or the Settlement isn’t approved in any potential appeal, you won’t receive a payment. Checks will be mailed 35 days after the court approves the Settlement and all appeals (if any) are resolved.

For more information, you can visit WalnutLabelingSettlement.com.

iTunes

If you purchased an iTunes Gift Card that stated songs were $0.99, and purchased one or more songs for $1.29 on or before May 10, 2010, you may be eligible to receive a payment up to $3.25 in iTunes store credit as part of a class action lawsuit settlement against Apple. During those dates, Apple allegedly used misleading langue on gift cards, and is being sued for misleading consumers.

How to Submit a Claim

To participate in this settlement, you will either need to fill out the online claim form. Claim forms must be submitted by September 24, 2012 to be eligible. Limit 1 claim per Apple ID. Be sure to fill out the form entirely and completely as you won’t be able to correct an incomplete claim.

When Will I Receive the Settlement?

There is no exact date as to when you will receive the benefits, but they will begin to be distributed after a judge grants final approval to the Settlement (the hearing was held on February 10, 2012) and after any appeals are resolved. It could take up to a year to receive your credit.

For more information, you can visit JohnsoniTunesSettlement.com.

Nutella

If you purchased a Nutella product between January 1, 2008 and February 3, 2012, you may be eligible to receive a payment up to $20 as part of a class action lawsuit settlement. If you purchased Nutella in California, eligible dates are August 1, 2009 and January 23, 2012. During those dates, Nutella allegedly falsely advertised that its hazelnut spread could be considered a health food, and is being sued for misleading consumers.

How to Submit a Claim

To participate in this settlement, you will either need to fill out the online claim form or download a paper claim and mail it to the address provided on the form. No proof of purchase is required. Claim forms must be submitted either online or postmarked by July 5, 2012 to be eligible.

When Will I Receive the Settlement?

There is no exact date as to when you will receive the benefits, but they will begin to be distributed after a judge grants final approval to the Settlement (the hearing is scheduled for July 9) and after any appeals are resolved. If, however, the judge doesn’t approve the Settlement or the Settlement isn’t approved in any potential appeal, you won’t receive a payment.

For more information, you can visit NutellaClassActionSettlement.com.

Vita Coco

If you purchased a Vita Coco product between August 10, 2007 and present, you may be eligible to receive a payment up to $25 or product vouchers up to $36 retail value as part of a class action lawsuit settlement. During those dates, Vita Coco allegedly misrepresented the health benefits and nutritional content of its products, and is being sued for misleading consumers.

How to Submit a Claim

To participate in this settlement, you will either need to fill out the online claim form or download a paper claim and mail it to the address provided on the form. No proof of purchase is required, however, the amount you could receive depends on whether or not you have proof. If you have proof, defined as a valid receipt or other document, you will receive a higher value. Claim forms must be submitted either online or postmarked by July 23, 2012 to be eligible.

When Will I Receive the Settlement?

There is no exact date as to when you will receive the benefits, but they will begin to be distributed after a judge grants final approval to the Settlement (the hearing is scheduled for August 22) and after any appeals are resolved. If, however, the judge doesn’t approve the Settlement or the Settlement isn’t approved in any potential appeal, you won’t receive a payment or any vouchers.

For more information, you can visit VitaCocoSettlement.com.

Your turn: Which of these class action lawsuit settlements are you going to submit a claim for?

Comments

1. Penny says

Note: it's totally unethical to sign up for "freebies" associated with frivilous class action suits through which you weren't damaged in any way. Silly lawsuits like these lead to Americans losing their jobs.

Penny – We are not advocating that people who do not qualify see these as "freebies." That is fraudulent. However, we have promoted all of the products mentioned in this blog post and felt that qualifying consumers should be informed of the settlements so they can choose whether to participate or not.

• jo says

I have to lean to Penny's side on this on – sorry Carrie. You have this tagged under "deals and freebies". Even tho you have "promoted" these items in the past your promotions were based on coupons and sales and not on the advertised claims the rulings were based on by the court. I agree anyone not "injured' by the claims or representations of the company should not be applying for the settlements under the class action. I feel personally you should not have listed this item on your website. Just my two cents worth.

2. Barb says

Thank you for bringing these to my attention. The only one I qualify for was the walnuts. I bought a lot of baking supplies from Sam's Club during those times and I even found an old receipt for some.

3. T says

I am glad that Carrie has listed these on her website. I would not have been aware if these, except for the i tunes one. I view these as similar to rebates. You only quality if you purchased the item. I think companies should be accountable for the claims they make. If there were no penalties, imagine what outrageous claims we would see.

These could always be posted under the "everything else" subcategory, but either way, I would still like to see these.

• Anjanette says

I am glad to see these too – I didn't see them anywhere else, and I qualified for some of them. I appreciate the notification.

4. Jan says

The sad thing about those settlement payouts is that they are result of lawsuits. Many time those lawsuits are based on premises that many of us would not agree with. Is anyone really under the impression that Nutella is a health food? And even if you were, wouldn't reading the label tell you that is isn't? These payouts drive up the cost of products for everyone. They also make companies much more reluctant to bring US consumers new products.

Pay close attention to the "cause" that resulted in those settlement payments. I would not submit for any of these (even though I have gone through at least a dozen Nutella jars YTD). You may get a few bucks back now, but watch for higher prices later.

5. sally says

Wow! I can't believe all the negative posts. We as shoppers need to be aware of the fraudulant claims made by these Companies. They have a responsibility to be truthful when advertising their products.These don't apply to me however; had I bought these products I would certainly apply for a refund.These lawsuits also keep the Companies "honest".

6. Pam says

Thank you for posting these opportunities – I would not have been aware and would not have filed for waht is rightfully due to me. With regard to the posts about you promoting freebies – you are not responsible for someone else's unethical behavior. Thanks again.

7. William Johnson says

I have to agree with Sally I bought Nutella based on the TV commercial. People like myself who works 18 hours per day 7 days a week do not have time to read all the labels. Writing this during my only self time.I liked the product it does taste ok but that has nothing to do with the subject above. Keep it honest America if you tell me it is healthy to eat it better be healthy to eat. Will I buy this product again No it is pack full of sugar and not healthy like nutella has claimed in their advertisements. Nutella has only discredited themselves. To the other comments above let the lying vendors price goes up they were not honest to the consumer. Most all consumers buy based on advertisement and this information must be fact not fiction! Or in this case the price will have to be paid. KEEP IT HONEST AMERICA! and yes I was under the impression this was a health food for this is exactly what the advertisement said!.

Jo – When I responded to Penny I didn't realize that this was tagged under "Deals & Freebies". Someone from our team did that actual posting of this info to our website and I never thought to look at the category. I can see why you'd all be concerned if I did talk about this as a "freebie." That was an honest mistake and we've corrected this by having this post be categorized in our blog and not as any sort of deal and freebie. Forgive me for my mistake in not realizing that when I first responded.

9. Laurie says

Sally, I agree! I am shocked at the number of unsubstantiated claims of job loss and increase in pricing due to class action lawsuits. If you perceive these actions as wrong, then don't submit a claim. But, you are not the moral voice of the people who are reading this blog, you can (and should) keep your opinions to yourself.

10. sally says

The sad part of these class action suits is that in our current situation the only thing these Companies listen to is the how much do I have to pay for lying to the public. They did it to themselves. Yes there are a lot of Lawyes getting rich and the public only gets a small portion of the final dollars but that's the way it is. If they would only not lie to get their products sold none of this would be an issue. I'm just glad there are people looking out for us.

11. Hilary says

i agree jan. it doesnt take much time to read the ingredients on the nutella label and identify that it is more chocolate than anything else. the original stuff made for Europe is much healthier. and william johnson, all i have to say to you is seriously?

12. Bubba says

Carrie, thank you for posting the information. I looked at the Nutella claim form. I don't understand what to put in the box that says "specify". It is after "identity of claimant" and before "current address". I know it's important to fiil these out correctly in order to get the claim. Do you have any idea? Thanks!

Bubba – I think that that box is to specify what type of "Other" you are (if applicable). In this case you would be an "individual" so you shouldn't have to type anything in that box. If you can't submit the form without typing anything in their, just type "N/A."

13. jack says

I agree with Penny that people shouldn't file fraudulent claims, AND what about the food companies being responsible in their claims. We encourage and teach our children to be responsible for the words they speak, does this only apply to people and not companies? Read up on the history of truth in advertising and the clean food act to understand that we in this country expect claims by food companies to be true. They fudge the truth enough as it is. To say that some of the "sugar bomb" products are "part of a balanced breakfast," is complete hogwash, but they all do it. If we allow them to deceive, (for the sake of a few jobs but at the expense of all our health and the cost associated with poor health that we are all paying for) where will it end?? Responsible for our actions it something we all need to be

14. michelle says

i appreciate the information on the nutella. i use it a lot and although i agree with what some of the people are saying, the commercials Do try to make it out as "healthy" and while it's better than eating raw sugar straight for breakfast it has it's issues. Truth needs to be in advertising and lawsuits like this one make companies think before making claims. If we could just get the drug companies to think about that! Thank you again for the information!

15. RICK REICHERT says

Thank you Carrie for letting everyone know about these class action lawsuits. I had not heard of these until now and unfortunately none allow me to qualify, but please keep them coming since one will at some point.