At the start of each year I have some things I like to do. I like to set goals, personal and professional, for the upcoming year. I publicly share goals for the Pocket Your Dollars community and website. I also look back on the year we finished and see how we did against last year’s goals. We are 30 days into the new year and I haven’t done any of that.
In fact, maybe you have noticed (or maybe not?) that things have been unusually quiet around here for the last few weeks. They have been and with good reason. I’ve had a handful of major things happening the past 5 weeks, besides the typical Christmas/New Year holiday stuff we all have. As a result I’ve been almost 100% distracted from Pocket Your Dollars.
Now that things are settling down a bit and I’m back in front of the computer, I figured I should let you know some of the major things that have been going on with me.
- My family and I moved right after Christmas. Our new house is 3 miles from our old one, but we still had to pack everything up and get it all unpacked and settled. (In full disclosure: we did take out a mortgage for our new house, although we had talked for years about staying where we were until it was paid off, then paying cash for our next place. One day I should write out the story about why we changed our minds when we were set like flint not to borrow again ever after we got out of all non-mortgage debt in 2009.)
- Our new house has had some unforeseen issues. The heating system in our new house has not been working correctly. Within the first 2 weeks the heat had gone out 3 separate times. The upstairs of our rambler is heated now, but the basement is not. We have had a steady stream of contractors and technicians parading in and out to help us diagnose the problem and figure out how much it’ll cost to fix it.
- We are doing some repairs/updating to our old house before we get it on the market. From painting to carpet, counters, appliances, light fixtures and toilet seats we are replacing and updating many things in our old house. It all takes time to coordinate and get done. Plus, when my husband is there working, then I am at the new house taking care of our kids.
- I had bronchitis. What started as a cold right after Christmas, then turned to laryngitis right around the New Year has become a prolonged battle with bronchitis. For some time I was fatigued from being sick, but also not sleeping very well due to the coughing, coughing, coughing I was doing. I had to cancel some TV and public speaking appearances in recent weeks because of the cough. I am finally starting to feel close to human again.
- I signed a book contract. Last March I started a conversation with Bethany House Publishers about writing a book. In December/January we were in the thick of a contract negotiation. I finally signed a contract about 2 weeks ago. The manuscript (aka rough draft) is due June 4 and the book will come out in January 2013. The working title is Pocket Your Dollars: 6 Attitude Changes That Will Help You Pay Down Debt, Avoid Financial Stress, and Keep More of What You Make. My husband and I are working out an arrangement where I should be able to get away from home 2 days/1 night each week to focus on writing.
To sum up my last 5 weeks I’d say it was like one of those days where you just don’t hit your stride and feel like you don’t get quite as much as accomplished as you had hoped. But, instead of being one day it was a string of 5 weeks worth of those days back-to-back. Glad to be through it.
Normalcy is in my future. Well, as much as one could expect me to ever be normal :)
How have things been with all of you?