Office Depot: Twelve Items Free After Worklife Rewards (Exp 9/24)

Office Depot is offering 100% back in Rewards on select supplies for Worklife Rewards and Star Teacher members (membership is free) this week (through 9/24/11).

Items are limited to 2 of each per member/per day and are available both in-store and online (some are listed as “in store only” but can be ordered online to pick up in-store). Orders of $50 or more online ship for free.

With the Worklife Rewards program, you earn Rewards that are paid quarterly in the form of an Office Depot Rewards Certificate when you earn a minimum of $10 in rewards. Unpaid Rewards expire at the end of each quarter.

There are lots of great deals this week. Check them out (prices reflect the in-store ad; prices online may vary by a dollar or so):

Water (20 pk.) $3.99

Spend $12.99, get $12.99 back in Worklife Rewards

Bankers Box Stor/File Basic Strength Storage Boxes (10 pk.) $17.99
Spend $17.99, get $17.99 back in Worklife Rewards

3M Laser Address Labels $25.99
Spend $25.99, get $25.99 back in Worklife Rewards
Final price: Free after Worklife Rewards

Your turn: Which of these deals did you grab? What do you usually spend your Worklife Rewards on?

Comments

1. Jenn says

I used my worklife rewards to purchase an external portable hard drive to backup my documents & photos onto. It's really the ONLY thing I considered a necessity. Now I don't know what to use future rewards on as I don't typically need many office or school supplies — and those that I do need/want usually are free after rebate or sell at rock bottom prices during the Back to School sales in July/August. I'm already stocked up on printer paper, tape, pens/pencils, markers, binders, glue, etc. for my kiddos and myself until next summer rolls around. So, I'm now thinking twice about what kinds of things I'm getting for "free" after worklife rewards and if it's really worth the price that I'd spend on something else in the future that I'd likely get on sale or deeply discounted anyway. Thought about a shredder or a new office chair, but again I don't feel like I need those! Ideas, anyone???

2. Sarah Sonnier says

I'm not sure about the Office Depot program yet but you might look into whether rewards from one quarter can be used on items with a reward this quarter, without forfeiting the reward. I had once thought that the Office Max program (similar to ODepot's) would not give you the reward on an item if you used rewards (earned on items from the previous quarter) to pay for it, but I've since learned (from calling them & reading through the T&Cs) you CAN in essence, "roll" your rewards. In that way, you could use the rewards you have now to buy items (even if you don't need them, you can donate maybe or ask around?) which will have a reward earned for the next quarter. That way you have some rewards all the time in case you find you need something…does that make sense?

Again, I'm not certain Depot has the same rules, but it might be worth looking into. Also, if anyone reading this has 'experienced' a different outcome at Office Max, please let me know! LOL I'm about to try it in a couple days but really won't know until next quarter I guess if they will give me a hassle. (I'll be buying some items that are 100% back with the rewards I earned from last quarter.)

• Sarah Sonnier says

UPDATE: I checked out the FAQ for Office Depot and found this:

Question: Can I use my Rewards Certificate with coupons?

Answer: Yes. We accept valid coupons when you make a purchase with your Rewards Certificate. However, purchases made with Rewards or Merchandise Cards/Certificates do not qualify for Rewards.

So it sounds like you won't get the reward if you use rewards to pay for it…bummer. Heading over to Office Max site right now to see if I missed something! LOL

• Sarah Sonnier says

Office Max read like this:

Question: Can I use my Reward Card with other coupons?

Answer: Absolutely. In addition to our usual storewide savings, we also accept valid coupons when you make a purchase with your Reward Card.

So it sounds like I'll be tryin' this out! :-) Yay!

Sarah – What did you see in Office Max's terms & conditions that makes you think you can roll your rewards? My experience is contrary to that and so I'm curious what you read.

• Sarah Sonnier says

Hey Carrie,

Actually as far as the T&C are concerned, it was more what I didn't see that promted me to call them. I was wondering what specifically they said about using a reward to pay for something with a reward and really found it wasn't addressed, that I could find, at all in the T&C. I decided to just call and ask what the policy was and was told without hesitation that if I used the rewards I have currently to pay for something that has an associated reward, there should be no problem getting those rewards next quarter. Like I said though, I've not tried it yet so I can't say for sure…but I would think that if there isn't anything in the T&C posing an issue AND I'm being told by their CS that it should be fine, I might be able to use that in the future if I had an issue. I think I might send them an e-mail on it too so I have something in writing.

Was there anything specifically in the T&C that indicated what you've experienced was correct? Or I guess I'm wondering, other than the experience, where you're getting the information from? I could very well be wrong on this, of course. :-)

Well, my understanding is that if something generates 100% reward back, for instance, and you pay for it 100% with store coupons (including rewards previously earned) then you spent $0 and, obviously, 100% of $0 is $0 and so you won't earn any more rewards. If the item is $20 and generates 100% rewards and you use a $10 off coupon, then you get $10 in rewards. Rewards are treated like a store coupon. That's why they say you earn 100% back and don't state a specific dollar value.

• Sarah Sonnier says

Oh and she also made a difference between what they call "Bonus Rewards" (usually the % back offers) and "Max Rewards" (the $25 when you spend $500). She did say that any amount paid for with rewards would not count towards the $500, which was consistent with their T&C/FAQ info, but that there should be no issue getting the "Bonus Reward".

3. Sarah Sonnier says

Hey Carrie,

I'm going to e-mail them about it tomorrow because I see what you're saying. One thing I'm wondering though is if they consider the rewards "store coupons" in the same sense and treat them the same. If that is the case, I just missed that when I was looking the T&C/FAQ page over. I'll look again for that more specifically too.

Initially I thought that the Rewards did roll and then a reader corrected me. After being corrected I stopped and thought about it and although I could PAY with my rewards for most anything, I wasn't earning NEW rewards. Let me know what you find out.

4. Sarah Sonnier says

Carrie,

I forwarded you the e-mail thread with Office Max, and basically, you're understanding IS correct. If a deal specifies a % reward, that percentage will be based ONLY on what they call a "qualifying purchase"…and the only part of the purchase that "qualifies" is the part you pay out of pocket (i.e. minus rewards, discounts, coupons, etc.), though so far I haven't been able to find that addressed at all the their T&C. Oh well! Bummer.