Educator Discounts: Save with Your School ID

I (Laura) used to be a high school English teacher, and one of my favorite things about the job (besides teaching the kids, of course) was that I was able to get discounts in many locations just by showing my school ID.

Here’s a list of educator discounts that I know of or that readers have told us about. Many of these discounts are also available to homeschool teachers and anyone with a school ID (it doesn’t hurt to ask!). Please leave more that you know of in the comments so that we can keep this list up-to-date.

Aerosoles. Get 15% off footwear items priced $39.99 or higher when you show your school ID or a paystub at an Aerosoles shoes store. You can also call 800.798.9478 to place your order.

AMC Theaters. Teachers can get movie tickets for $6.50 each after the second weekend of a film’s release. You may need to purchase the tickets at your district office.

Ann Taylor LOFT. Join LOFT Loves Teachers to get 15% off all full-price in-store purchases, plus enjoy in-store teacher appreciation nights.

Apple Store. Get online discounts on computers, software, and select third party products. These discounts are also available to college students.

Ax-Man Surplus Stores (MN). This surplus store with all sorts of interesting gadgets and hardware has an educator’s discount. No details are available online, but you can expect to save anywhere from 10-15%.

Barnes & Noble. This bookstore has an educator program you can sign up for to get 20% off all purchases for classroom use and special values during Educator Appreciation Days.

Cell Phone Services. Many providers offer discounts to government employees, so ask your provider for special programs. I actually switched to Sprint when I became a student teacher because of the educator discount.

The Franklin Institute (PA). In-service teachers from schools in PA, NJ, DE, NY, and MD may show identification at the box office to receive a free individual same-day Museum ticket.

Guthrie Theater (MN). Get season tickets for a fraction of the regular cost. You may have to go to Tuesday night shows, but it’s not limited to preview shows. Contact the Guthrie Theater box office for more information. (Note: I couldn’t find any information about this online, so it’s possible this may no longer be available.)

Half Price Books. Save 10% on all purchases with a Teacher & Librarian discount card.

Hancock Fabrics. Present your Red Apple Card at any Hancock Fabrics store to receive a 10% discount.

Hotels. Many hotels allow you to show your public school teacher ID to receive the “government rate,” even if your travel isn’t work related.

International Teacher Identity Card. This card costs $22 a year, but this price gives you discounts around the world for travel, purchases, and services for teachers, including 10% off at Target.com, 11% off all flights of JetBlue Airways, and more.

J. Crew. Get 15% off all items when you show your school ID (college students can also get this discount).

JoAnn Fabrics. Sign up for the Teacher Rewards Program to save 15% on purchase made in-store and online. Plus, get a bonus coupon for 20% off one purchase when you enroll or re-enroll in the program.

Klein Bank in Chaska (MN). – A reader told us that her bank offers special discounts for teachers. Other banks might have discounts, too, so ask at yours to see if there’s anything available.

Lakeshore Learning. Ask at the store to join their Teacher’s Club and save 15% on classroom items. You can also get free printable resources to support classroom instruction off of their website each month.

The Limited. Save 15% at The Limited when you show your school ID or a recent paystub. (Note: I couldn’t find any information about this online, so it’s possible this may no longer be available.)

Michaels. Get 15% off your entire purchase every day at Michaels; see a store associate for details.

Minnesota Historical Society (MN). Several resources are available for teachers, including free teacher preview events of new exhibits and teacher workshops that allow you to earn graduate credit with Hamline University (these teacher workshops are not free, but subsidies are available).

Minnesota Zoo (MN) . Get $2 off regular admission, $1 off student/senior admission, and $1 off IMAX admission. You’ll need to get your coupons from your district office.

New York & Company. Sign up for their program to get 15% off any in-store purchases and 20% off your first purchase.

Office Depot. Get 10% back in rewards on ink, toner, and paper, plus 1% back on almost everything else through the Star Teacher Program.

Office Max. Join the OfficeMax MaxPerks Rewards for Teachers program to earn a $10 reward for every $75 you spend on qualified purchases. They also have several items available each week that are free or close-to-free after MaxPerks Rewards.

Scholastic. You can attend periodic Scholastic warehouse book fairs nationwide if you are a school or district employee or a book fair chairperson or volunteer.

Science Museum of Minnesota (MN). Get free admission with your employee badge (I’m not sure if this is available anymore) and/or apply for the Educator Club to get a discounted household membership for the year.

Staples. Teachers can sign up for the Staples Rewards program to get all of the regular Rewards benefits, plus extra discounts on teaching and art supplies.

Valleyfair. Ask at your district office to see if you can buy Valleyfair tickets at a discount.

In addition to these deals, you should also check with your school district office to see if they have any discounted tickets available or know of additional ways for you to get discounts. Remember, it never hurts to ask if there’s an educator discount – the worst they can say is no!

Your turn: What other educator discounts do you know of? Please leave them in the comments or email me at laura @ pocketyourdollars.com (remove spaces).

Comments

1. Emily White says

Borders has an educator discount also. It is 25% I believe. Lakeshore Learning Center also has an educator program. I am a homeschooler and am able to use those discounts.

• Elizabeth says

I have used this benefit. they ask you to bring your i_d they give you a card for you to use there and if you go to the other nationwide locations. Also twice a year they host a teacher day teachers get a back stage tour and Ceu credits

2. Shelly says

Thanks, Laura! Having lunch at Applebees today for the second year in a row on Teacher Appreciation Day. Getting one of their yummy lunches for $1.99 is a nice treat! Thanks for the other things you mentioned, too.

3. Stephanie says

Do any of these deals apply to parents who homeschool? Or are you aware of any homeschool discounts? A friend told me she was able to get discounted swimming lessons & gymnastic classes as a homeschooler.

4. JoAnna says

I have seen on-line ads from NY and Co that when you show your ID they offer a discount in store.

5. Emily says

Stephanie, FOSS swim school has a homeschool program. You can view what's available on their website. My kids are doing it right now and it's extremely reasonable for what they are getting. As for gymnastics, I know that Gleason's gym has a Tuesday afternoon play program. They teach gymnastics there, but I don't know anything about their program.

6. Sandee says

At Underwater Adventures you can get a free year-long membership (renewable every year) or apply the price of a single membership to a family membership.

• kj says

I signed up for the family membership in April. I had brought my name badge and current pay stub. they didn't even ask for proof.

7. Kelly says

Someone asked about home-schooling discounts… One of the best I've seen is Buck Hill's homeschooling learn to ski program… I think four mondays each winter they have SUPER cheap rental/lesson/ski package… Details on their web site. (I think it's $20 per person for ski rental, lesson and lift ticket)

By far the best educator discount I know about is the Guthrie Theater…. You can get season tickets for a fraction of the regular cost, something like half off… (You do have to go to Tuesday night shows, I think, but it's not limited to Preview shows)

8. April says

Does anyone know if any of these apply to Early Childhood Teachers? Do you need a school district ID to get these discounts, how does it work?

9. Katie says

The Limited, New York & Company (already mentioned), and Ann Taylor Loft all offer 15% off for teachers with ID or paycheck.

10. sharon says

Michael's offers "The Knack" faculty discounts. They email project ideas, and coupons that you can print and take to the store to redeem (on anything) – usually 40% off one item.

Also, Scholastic has warehouse book fairs that are open pretty much to the public. You can request to be added to their email list that will notify you when the sales are. When you make that request, they will ask if you are a teacher, school employee, or a book fair volunteer. But if you are just driving by the warehouse site, there are signs everywhere pointing to the sale, and no one asks to see your "volunteer" credentials! I go to the Brooklyn Park site, near 93rd and 169, but there are other sites in the metro. They have good deals, usually at least 50% off.

Thanks so much to everyone who commented or emailed to add more offers to this list. I really appreciate hearing from the Pocket Your Dollars' community! If you know of more, please let me know via email or comment.

12. Karen says

Just wondering if the "teacher" deals are also applicable for the people who work in the before and after school programs through the school district. We are hired by the school district and do have ID from same. I'm one of these people and work with elementary school children. Since we require games, craft supplies, sports supplies, etc., it would be GREAT if we were able to get a discount on them.

13. Amber says

Hello! Clothes Mentor in Minnetonka just posted on facebook that they are offering 10% off to all teachers throughout the month of September.

14. Jayme S says

I know from being both a licensed teacher who only does summer school (and doesn't have a formal school ID) and a homeschool mom, that some of these places will accept either a copy of your teaching certification, or membership card in a homeschool organization as proof of being a teacher to get the discount.

15. Lisa says

Joann Fabrics does have a discount card for teachers and home schoolers. You must be a teacher, not other school staff. If you go into a JoAnn's store make sure you have your most recent teacher/school ID with this year school season on it. If you do not, make sure to bring a letter from the school or a pay stub that says you're a teacher for the current school year. If you do not have these items, they won't let you get a card. Home Schoolers make sure you have a letter saying your a home schooler for this year as well as an ID. Bonus is you can use you discount card with coupons from Joann's also.

16. Bernice says

Ax-Man (a surplus store with all sorts of interesting gadgets and hardware) has an educator's discount.. I don't recall the details of how much of a discount (10 – 15%?)

History Center of MN (in St Paul) has teacher preview events of new exhibits. Free for one evening and they give teaching resources related to the exhibit as well.

For some discounts my dh has just shown his Education MN card (which has it's own discount program as well)

If your ID is from a public school system, your ID is a government ID. This qualifies you for the "government rate" at many hotels just by showing your ID, even if your travel isn't work related. Recently my husband and I paid $89 for a hotel room with a government discount, and people with a corporate discount were paying $125.

These sound great! My husband is retired after teaching 30plus yrs. and now sub. teaches a lot at my school..would his pay stub work?

I got free admission to the Franklin Institute (museum) in Philadelphia with my teacher ID. It's normally $15. Great museum!

20. Liz says

I have used it. You have to show ID and then you sign up for a FREE one year pass. Then you just show the pass in the future. Also twice a year they have an Open house for Teachers and their families. You can go FREE from 4-8 and they give you FREE CEU units for it. I loved the tour of the aquariams inner workings. Love the UW @ MOA for supporting teachers.

• Shelly says

Liz – I wonder if this information is a little outdated. I took my daughter & son-in-law to the Aquarium at MOA in late September. I had called ahead to get information. It wasn't free any longer. It was still a great deal, although I hardly ever go there, so not as much for me. I think with my teacher badge I got a year membership for $10. And then I can bring guests for 1/2 price. So I was able to get the 3 of us in that day for a total of $30. Recently I took my other daughter was able to just pay $10 out of pocket since I was free with my membership card, and she was half price.

21. Liz says

The Plum District has a discount for teachers and IMAX movies. It used to be FREE for educational films and $5 for hollywood films. but I went the other day and they charged me half for a Hollywood film. It's not easy to sign up but it's worth it if you want to save some money. You call the IMAX and ask them for the information. I was told it's changed since I signed up 2 years ago. They send you a card in the mail

22. Liz says

I'm looking for a discount to the Minnesota Museum of Art for teachers. I want to see the Terra Cotta Warriors. Anyone?

Liz and Shelly – According to the website, it's just a discounted teacher membership, not a free membership:

"Teachers receive a discounted year-long membership to the Aquarium! Bring a valid Teacher ID to the Box Office to receive the discount, or email teachers@sealifeus.com for more information."

ETA: Here's our updated list of teacher discounts with this information and more: http://www.pocketyourdollars.com/2012/08/teacher-

Liz – I don't see anything specific to teachers, but the Terracotta Warriors exhibit is free to the public on Target Family Days (the next one is this upcoming Sunday, January 13): http://artsmia.org/terracotta-warriors/#tickets Just know that the museum will be busier than usual on this day.

I'd recommend signing up for their "Teaching the Arts" email newsletter for future discounts and special teacher preview events: http://www.artsmia.org/index.php?section_id=16